Scared geese

Kree

Hatching
Jul 27, 2020
Good day to you all!
Yesterday I went to some kind of Sunday market in my country where they had pretty much everything from live animals to furniture, electronics, foods, you get the idea. In the whole market I only saw 2 geese sold by some old man and they looked terrible, feet were bound really harsh, flight feathers cut off and overall looked quite dirty, like they hadn't seen water in quite some time. When I went and asked about them, found out he had 1 more which he prompty grabbed by the neck and threw down next to the others. Feeling quite disgusted and outraged by the whole ordeal at this point, but I kept my cool, bought all 3 of them and took them home.

Now a bit of backstory, this spring I got ducks and geese for the first time ever. They were all 1 day olds, 4 grey geese, 2 Toulouse and 12 Pekin ducks.
Both Toulouse died suddenly after 1 or 2 weeks, I blamed the fact that I fed them chicken starter that had coccidiostatic in it, didn't know for sure but I stopped giving them that, the rest were fine. A duckling drowned in their pool around the same age, altough it wasn't deep at all and I spent a lot of time around to make sure they can easily get out, my guess is he took too long and got hypothermia so his muscles locked.

Fast forward almost 2 months and I'm the happy owner of 4 grey geese and 11 ducks that are really friendly and easily follow me when I call for them.
I let them free range in my yard the whole day everyday, the geese are the lead and the ducks follow them everywhere, whenever a duck gets lost it starts making a lot of noise and the geese would return for them.

And now I've brought these 3 new geese here, I believe they're a few months old, white, blue eyes, things of beauty. I put them in their enclosure and they struggled and bit me the whole time. I was very gentle and and did everything slow, didn't flinch when they bit or anything. They don't really interact with the other geese or ducks, I noticed they avoid eachother, the 3 new geese picked a corner and just lay there, they also barely touch the water and feed. Whenever I get close to their enclosure, as soon as they see me, be it even from 30-40 meters, they get agitated and go the opposite way of me. They're really scared of humans in general.
Right now it's morning and I let the geese and ducks out to graze but those 3 ain't having it, they just stay in their corner.

How should I proceed further? They sure do look traumatised.

Ditto what sourland said above. Just give them time, soft talking to them, maybe a treat of some sort where only they can get to it. It sounds like their entire life, up to now, has been one of fear and abuse. They may never completely overcome that imprinting but with time and patience and affection they will come to be less afraid, join in with the goings on at their new home and will probably prove to be really greatful.

Thank you for the encouraging words!
Today (which could be considered their first proper day here) they explored a bit of their enclosure but still going to their corner when they spot me, albeit not as fast and agitated as yesterday.
They were a bit curious when I changed their water but didn't dare come close to me even with my back turned. I brought them a lot of freshly cut Echinochloa plants (which are the absolute favorite of my other geese) but they barely touched them, instead they seem to really like tomatoes (which I grow and have a lot of).
I find it a bit weird because my other geese are not fans of tomatoes, only the ducks ate them until now but I won't complain, as long as they like something. They also have wheat and corn at their disposal but haven't seen them try it yet.
Looking forward to letting them free range in my yard hopefully soon.

It will take time, judging by how you described the way the old man was treating them they’ve never known kindness from humans. Poor things.

On the subject of your goslings and ducklings that passed away, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve heard that the medicated chick start was toxic to water fowl for years, but I’ve also heard that is just a myth. I do know that chick start doesn’t have the percentage of niacin and protein that goslings and ducklings need so that may be what’s really causing a lot of losses people see when feeding chick start.
Unfortunatly feed stores don’t always bother to help new owners out.

Congrats on your new geese. They are so lucky you found them! Water is the key to making friends, as they love fresh water more than treats. Bring them small buckets of fresh water as often as you can. Even if they have fresh water, they still love getting more. It takes days (sometime weeks) for them to transition to new feed and look forward to regular routine. Suggest offering whole corn to grain, mazuri is even better (if you can afford it).

I know many geese that love tomatoes, but it is an acquired taste. Romaine lettuce and corn are probably the two treats geese develop a taste for the quickest, with watermelon not far behind.

I'm also so glad you rescued those geese. I love my two Pilgrim geese so much. I have even read of folks on this forum referencing grabbing geese by the neck and 'showing them who's boss'. I try never to act in a predatory manner with my little sweethearts. I never grab them and certainly not by the neck. I move slowly around them, pick them up twice daily and treat them gently. They are sweet back to me. It makes me sad to think of the treatment it sounds like your geese received. I hope they are starting to develop a bit of trust in your care.

I'm also so glad you rescued those geese. I love my two Pilgrim geese so much. I have even read of folks on this forum referencing grabbing geese by the neck and 'showing them who's boss'. I try never to act in a predatory manner with my little sweethearts. I never grab them and certainly not by the neck. I move slowly around them, pick them up twice daily and treat them gently. They are sweet back to me. It makes me sad to think of the treatment it sounds like your geese received. I hope they are starting to develop a bit of trust in your care.

I agree Treatment like grabbing them and showing them who’s boss just reinforces more fear and more aggression. If geese do turn aggressive picking them up and carrying them around works much better, it teaches them who’s the strongest in a way where they also realize you’re also not going to hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom