Scared of how many I’ll lose

YOU GUYS WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS

I ended up losing 9 chicks total and the replacements arrived today. I felt more comfortable since it was warmer this week in MI - but it still took them 3 days to arrive.

I GOT THE WRONG ORDER. They sent me 16 chickens that were supposed to go to Irma in Arizona.
The outside of the box had my order number and address, but the inside order form was for Irma in AZ and she ordered 3 males.

I called to let them know they needed to inform Irma of the mistake and they are sending me my 9 replacements next week. So now I have 16 extra chicks that I did not account for. I can give some to my mother-in-law. Ill probably see if someone locally wants the rest.

BUT COME ON MCMURRAY. This has been a wild ride. Theres a couple in this batch that seem pretty weak. I made them sugar water and gave them Gro Gel - we will see if they all make it!

After my chicks came a day late on Thursday, I lost 4/6 so I absolutely feel your pain and I'm so sorry! I posted on Facebook looking for local chicks, and people directed me towards a couple feed stores, Ace hardware, Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, and swap meets. We ended up picking up almost all the breeds we wanted at a meet yesterday - half the sellers there had them shipped from a hatchery too, but we were (hopefully) able to pick out healthy ones. My advice is to try that! It was super fun getting to select our new babies instead of having someone just yank one from a pile, too.
I may try that! This extra batch had one salmon favorelle - and its a female! I will keep that one if it makes it! There is one called a Red-shouldered yokohama which is tiny but will be so pretty if they make it!

Last edited:
USPS is having massive problems this year - they will continue to have problems till they work thru the back log caused by the large scale suspension of commercial travel this past year (they have no planes of their own, and place postage with air travelers). An epic storm in February affecting much of the country didn't help either, nor did the surplus of packages in December when people sent gifts but didn't themselves visit.

All those delays and travel restrictions mean more mistakes. Which means more re-shipped orders, etc by companies like McMurrays and other hatcheries, who likely have small shipping staff of their own, now working extra hours, making mistakes of their own...

It will get better. Eventually.

We already lost the Red Shouldered Yokohama. She was so much smaller to begin with. Poor girl.

Attachments

• 64125A6F-7A0D-402E-8E89-22C4FBF6B6C8.jpeg
    64125A6F-7A0D-402E-8E89-22C4FBF6B6C8.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 4
the third batch is here! 9 little babies. I think our extra mystery chick one is an Egyptian Fayoumis. What do you think?

here’s pictures from the website
BDF5CD9B-0016-4586-8D00-7C0F8D47D22E.png
8872A2D3-154E-40EF-B640-454E42DC401C.png

And here’s our little extra friend

473F9FE1-02F5-4355-AC63-18F4CA21D6A9.jpeg

2578F7D5-0850-4530-B4CA-CAE1A16FB691.jpeg

here’s the full batch. Now I have 35 chicks in the garage and need to figure what to do with the 15 unexpected extras!!!!
B1A623E0-04CC-4A73-BFA7-3995F5148D84.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom