Scared of how many I’ll lose

RevlisRemmah

Songster
Jul 10, 2020
Central Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I preordered chicks from Murray McMurray back in November and this is ship week!

I got notification that they shipped Tuesday night, and they still haven’t arrived. Our post office closes at 4:30 so I don’t think I’ll be able to pick them up until after 10:00AM tomorrow.

I ordered 18 chicks but at this point they will have been traveling for almost 3 days when they reach me. I’m scared that a lot of them won’t make it. They were only going from Iowa to Michigan, I thought it would be a short trip.

They went on such an adventure. Iowa to Minnesota to Detroit to Lansing to me. I picked them up this morning. One was dead, a couple had pasty butt that I washed up and one little one just sits and peeps so I’m a little worried about her. But the babies are here! Hopefully the rest settle in and make it!
74894107-1AE9-4384-9322-C54FC1493B2D.jpeg
0012DEB2-FF78-4CAE-A400-4AB8451FF422.jpeg
0FED2A69-4A42-4A69-AB72-6B7E1401170D.jpeg

YOU GUYS WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS

I ended up losing 9 chicks total and the replacements arrived today. I felt more comfortable since it was warmer this week in MI - but it still took them 3 days to arrive.

I GOT THE WRONG ORDER. They sent me 16 chickens that were supposed to go to Irma in Arizona.
The outside of the box had my order number and address, but the inside order form was for Irma in AZ and she ordered 3 males.

I called to let them know they needed to inform Irma of the mistake and they are sending me my 9 replacements next week. So now I have 16 extra chicks that I did not account for. I can give some to my mother-in-law. Ill probably see if someone locally wants the rest.

BUT COME ON MCMURRAY. This has been a wild ride. Theres a couple in this batch that seem pretty weak. I made them sugar water and gave them Gro Gel - we will see if they all make it!

How sad! We stopped ordering a few years ago because of stories like yours. We got fertile eggs from a neighbor and let our broodies hatch whenever they want. We end up with barnyard mixes, but they lay eggs. We send our extra roos/non producers to freezer camp. Every few years, I'll grab 6 or 10 heritage breeds from a local feed store to infuse pure blood into the mix.

Prior to last year, we were able to pick up chicks at the PO distribution center. Not last year, or this year. can't call them directly or drive to pick them up. The USPS is underfunded, understaffed, and people are out sick, so it's understandable that they aren't able to function as they should. Totally wrong, but understandable.
We too want breeds not available at Townline, so ordering is the option. When things go well, it's great! And we mostly report to complain, when things go wrong.
Mary

USPS is having massive problems this year - they will continue to have problems till they work thru the back log caused by the large scale suspension of commercial travel this past year (they have no planes of their own, and place postage with air travelers). An epic storm in February affecting much of the country didn't help either, nor did the surplus of packages in December when people sent gifts but didn't themselves visit.

All those delays and travel restrictions mean more mistakes. Which means more re-shipped orders, etc by companies like McMurrays and other hatcheries, who likely have small shipping staff of their own, now working extra hours, making mistakes of their own...

It will get better. Eventually.

Back
Top Bottom