Scared of how many I’ll lose

I'm so sorry for your losses, it is very hard.
Last year, when so many chicks died in transit, ours arrived in pretty good shape, only one dead out of about fifty.
Last month wasn't so good. Ours went from central Missouri to Kansas City, then to Detroit, Lansing, and finally Perry. Three days in transit, no heat pack, and we lost twelve out of fifty-two! Also horrible! Our worst experience after many shipped chicks.
This week, six replacements arrived, in two days, with a heat pack, and all look terrific.
Also, the first shipment, we were called by our local PO when they arrived. This week, saw they were there by tracking, and no phone call.
Do call the hatchery within their time limits, and discuss things. I was very upset that Cackle shipped our birds without a heat pack, and let them know!
There's also a complaint line for the USPS available.
Mary

I'm so sorry for your losses, it is very hard.
Last year, when so many chicks died in transit, ours arrived in pretty good shape, only one dead out of about fifty.
Last month wasn't so good. Ours went from central Missouri to Kansas City, then to Detroit, Lansing, and finally Perry. Three days in transit, no heat pack, and we lost twelve out of fifty-two! Also horrible! Our worst experience after many shipped chicks.
This week, six replacements arrived, in two days, with a heat pack, and all look terrific.
Also, the first shipment, we were called by our local PO when they arrived. This week, saw they were there by tracking, and no phone call.
Do call the hatchery within their time limits, and discuss things. I was very upset that Cackle shipped our birds without a heat pack, and let them know!
There's also a complaint line for the USPS available.
Mary
This is great advice, thank you! We have lost 8 out of 20 so far, and many of the remaining have pasty butt. I think the trip is what did it, they also had no heat pack, no grow gel or anything. I wonder if I dare to ship again if I can grab them from a distribution center instead of them taking all these crazy detours.

How sad! We stopped ordering a few years ago because of stories like yours. We got fertile eggs from a neighbor and let our broodies hatch whenever they want. We end up with barnyard mixes, but they lay eggs. We send our extra roos/non producers to freezer camp. Every few years, I'll grab 6 or 10 heritage breeds from a local feed store to infuse pure blood into the mix.
The whole reason for ordering from them was because I wanted to add Salmon Faverolles to our flock and I rounded out our order with some other breeds. I’ve lost all of my Favorelles now. And since that was the whole reason for my order I feel doubly sad!! I do want to get some Faverolles but I’m not sure I can risk another shipment going this way. Last year I ordered from Townline and didn’t lose any, I still have all of them and they are doing amazing! Townline just doesn’t have a huge breed selection though.

After my chicks came a day late on Thursday, I lost 4/6 so I absolutely feel your pain and I'm so sorry! I posted on Facebook looking for local chicks, and people directed me towards a couple feed stores, Ace hardware, Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, and swap meets. We ended up picking up almost all the breeds we wanted at a meet yesterday - half the sellers there had them shipped from a hatchery too, but we were (hopefully) able to pick out healthy ones. My advice is to try that! It was super fun getting to select our new babies instead of having someone just yank one from a pile, too.

Back
Top Bottom