scared of my roo. (pic), few questions...... please help!!!

Please be very careful with your little girl. I've heard stories of small children being blinded during rooster attacks. I would probably cull him if you don't need him for breeding purposes.

read most of this...do you really need him? There are a lot of roos that need homes that are not aggressive...seriously it's not worth bodily harm!

Freezer camp for this chap...

Well, this topic is giving me a lot to think about!

Received my day old 12 pullets about 3 months ago. Kept the brooder in the house so I could watch over my new charges. They were so adorable and we handled them a lot, even feeding them treats by hand. Well, you all know where this is going! We have a silver laced wyandotte Roo! He may be dinner even before he can develop an attitude
cool.png
!

Well not EVERY roo is a problem. There is always the bad egg amongst the good. I have 2 roos and they are NO problem whatso ever. You try your best with them and hope that they are "keepers" [there ARE alot out there that are].
Unfortunetely, so many AGF are hardwired from the get go to have zero personality and 100% fight fight in them, UNLESS a responsible breeder has worked on breeding that fight out of them because they just want them for a representation of the AGF breed. In this end of the country [southern CA] there many more hardwired the former way than the later, because of no controls over who breeds with who and other things we won't get into.......
hide.gif
smile.png

Hey LovesMe...

Everyone calls me the MuthahCluckah here, mostly because no chicken ( or any other animal for that matter) frightens me-guess I'm kind of a "whisperer"
Recently I had one of my young Roos come at me, peck me like he was going to eat me and then tried to box me...

I grabbed him immediately, tapped him on the beak and flipped him upside down into the "chicken hypnosis" position, held on his back, tight to me so he
couldn't get at me with his claws before his feet went limp. I held him in that submissive position for a while and then put him down. Now whenever I enter the
run, I find him, confront him like another roo would do, then put my hand on his back, like the mounting position chooks use to determine who's the big chicken.
That bit of dominance behavior from me makes me the "big chicken" and although he may give me the "hairy eyeball" from time to time, I don't have any more
trouble with him. I've noticed he's the first one to grow spurs, so those will be coming off soon, I guess he's just got lots of chicken testosterone.

The chicken hypnosis position works wonders for the most skittery of birds, I try and spend a few minutes with each of my 32 daily in that position, stroking
their breast and talking gently to them.

Course now I'll have said all this and next week I'LL be posting about getting chased around the run...LOL...

And I agree with everyone else...poor guy probably just needs a little lovin' from one of his poultry mamas to slow his roll!

Back
Top Bottom