Scared

None of my 6 grandbabies (3 to 11 yo) would touch it either... They have been here for several days waiting for their baby chickens to hatch. Had many tears shed today

Last edited:
None of my 6 grandbabies (3 to 11 yo) would touch it either... They have been here for several days waiting for their baby chickens to hatch. Had many tears shed today
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

so hard with the grand babies

are you going to set some more?

I would absolutely love to set some more. Is it okay to do it since winter is coming? I don't think I could take any more heartbreak. We had planned on keeping them in the house for a couple months after they hatch but that'll put them into about December or January and it'll be super cold outside. Gosh I can't even think right now I just keep hearing that poor little Peep Peep Peep that I heard a couple days ago. I sure wish that little thing could have lived. I don't know why I'm so attached to a chicken that wasn't even born but the tears won't stop.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to set some more. Is it okay to do it since winter is coming? I don't think I could take any more heartbreak. We had planned on keeping them in the house for a couple months after they hatch but that'll put them into about December or January and it'll be super cold outside. Gosh I can't even think right now I just keep hearing that poor little Peep Peep Peep that I heard a couple days ago. I sure wish that little thing could have lived. I don't know why I'm so attached to a chicken that wasn't even born but the tears won't stop.
People hatch all year long, depending on outside temps you would have to do supplemental heat for awhile

Good to know. I ordered another incubator a couple days ago. I believe it's a little higher quality than this styrofoam one I had originally purchased. Poor hubby was complaining last night that he doesn't ever get to eat any eggs because I put them all on incubator LOL... We only have one laying right now and she only lays about 4 times a week so it's not like we get very many eggs out of her. I think they're better off in the incubator LOL I have 5 others that are still about a month out from laying eggs possibly 2 months. I was told they were three weeks old when we got them on June 11th. I just inform the grandchildren that we can still hatch eggs during the winter and that put a couple smiles on their faces. Thank you so much for all of your help over the last couple days. I was feeling quite lonely in this chicken endeavor

Last edited:
Good to know. I ordered another incubator a couple days ago. I believe it's a little higher quality than this styrofoam one I had originally purchased. Poor hubby was complaining last night that he doesn't ever get to eat any eggs because I put them all on incubator LOL... We only have one laying right now and she only lays about 4 times a week so it's not like we get very many eggs out of her. I think they're better off in the incubator LOL I have 5 others that are still about a month out from laying eggs possibly 2 months. I was told they were three weeks old when we got them on June 11th. I just inform the grandchildren that we can still hatch eggs during the winter and that put a couple smiles on their faces. Thank you so much for all of your help over the last couple days. I was feeling quite lonely in this chicken endeavor
hugs.gif

i have also seen people hatch out eggs from roadside egg sales (just a thought) if you can see the flock and see roos pretty good chance they're fertile!
if you ever have questions or need help let us know!!

Last edited:

To be honest, you don't need to baby them as much as you think. If you put eggs in the incubator within the next week, there should be no problem putting them outside around three or four weeks without heat. I'm not kidding. Eight weeks is not really necessary. That is when they will be fully feathered if you keep them in the house and warm. My broody raised babies are already feathering out because they are outside even at night when it's cool. This past year I was able to get away with putting babies outside as young as a week without heat. Earlier in the year, I had babies outside at three weeks without heat. It even snowed! I won't tell you that all birds will be happy about it. You aren't going to sleep well with them outside anyway, so you may as well check on them. There is a difference between an occasional peep, and a desperate screaming peep. Just like with human babies, you will probably know the difference between something is wrong, and they are just unhappy.
I am on mobile right now, but I thought you were from Washington. I have been there several times, and I am aware of your weather. I really do think that it will be okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom