Scaredy Roo! *Funny story!*

Kitty135

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be concerned about my rooster's "issues".
Background Info: My 5 Japanese Bantams are really quite special. I received them as a graduation gift last year and they are now reaching maturity. They were they sweetest, tiniest little chicks ever. They unfortunately got shipped to us with 11 free packing peanuts (monster sized barred rock cockerels!) and would always keep to themselves. It was clearly visible at just two and a half weeks old that I lucked out with one Japanese bantam cockerel and four pullets. The cockerel fit his name quite ironically, which i chose to be Titan. Now, maybe this was because he was just dying to get away from the larger barred rocks, but he loved me right away. He had this habit of falling asleep belly up in my hand. I remember numerous times that I had wished he would never grow up as a spunky young roo.
Months passed, and he would act the same way, even after we rehomed all the barred rocks. He became larger, began to crow, developed an impressive comb and saddle feathers, and he would still run up to me. Everytime I would pick him up, he would always settle in my arms and fall asleep belly up like a young kitten. Basically, the point of this was to inform you of how big of a baby Titan is.
And now...
THE FUNNY STORY!
Titan, now a full grown and mature rooster, is a coward. Oh, he loves people... just not those scary little hens that have known him since day one. Yes, those four little Black tailed White Japanese Bantam hens are SUPER scary looking ;) Well, he was at that age where there was only one thing on his mind... HENS! And he was determined to do his thing no matter how scary those adorable hens may have been. Their food was placed in front of them, and, as usual, the hens shoved Titan out of their way to get some food. Finally gathering up his courage, he ruffled his feathers and "went at it" with a surprised hen. Once the deed was done, oh, he knew he was in for it! He ran to a corner and his hen of choice gave him a good pecking and stood proudly above him. She went back to eating, and Titan, ashamed and humiliated, went inside. I haven't seen him trying any moves to impress the ladies since then :)

Back
Top Bottom