Scaring Roosters Away

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
Our roosters are free range and unfortunately, they now have a habit of perching on our new porch railings. Every day I have to hose the entire porch down because of their droppings!

We just built them a new rooster coop [the hens have their own fenced in coop and run] and there is even a new roost in it. So far, they won't use it! And it's been below 30 severals times the last few weeks.

Is there any kind of animated large bird decoy that I could put on the porch? What would keep them off the porch, owls or hawks or something else? HELP!

all i can think of is a fence. good luck
cool.png

The only trick I know is to put a nail on each end of the the top of your railings. Tie a piece of fishing line to each line. In essence, building a clothes line (only alot smaller). It works with crows and buzzards. Not sure with chickens, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck

Momacatpatch,,,I know just how you feel. My birds hang out at my back door on the porch and I have to sweep it daily. Big poop every where! I've found something that I think will work that I'm going to purchase next spring. If you google search "sprinkler scarecrow" you find they make little water sprinklers in the shape of a crow bird that sit on the grass where you want them and when it detects movement/motion around it ,,,it pops up and gives them a squirt of water. You have to hook it up to your water hose but I thought it was a good idea without hurting the birds but just keeping them off a certain area. It's made for gardens and such to keep birds and other pests away. I think this would be ideal for you too since it's near your house I'm sure you have a water faucet you can hook it up to. Good luck, Julie
smile.png

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to try to help.

Hubby put up wiring across and above the railings, two rows of wire, one about an inch from the rail, the second about four inches up from the rail, from post to post. SO, tonight we'll see if this deters them. At dusk, they begin to gather on the railings!

And we'll tweak it as we go if needed. Just had to make the area less comfy!!! I'll keep ya'll posted!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom