schnouzer trouble he is very ill what do you all think???

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
Gizzmo was fine this morning we took him a long walk up a country lane and then back round the coast over the beach. He was fine but tonight when DH looked at him he couldn;t stand properly and wasn;t walking right. THe back end started to drag and his belly looks all swollen.

Were away to the Vet in 30 mins. Never quick round here. Farming area so livestock come first. I was thinking bloat????
Or poison because someone tried to do that to our dogs before?

He wont stand now and wont get out of his basket but No fits or discharge. He did have a bit of diarreha this morning, but only after he pood a few times ok.
Oesdog

Get to the vet asap. Schnauzers are famous for liver/pancreatic disorders. Although bloat is not usually seen in this breed, I'm wondering if there might have been a bit of dietary indiscretion while walking in the country. If he had indeed ingested rotted meat he might be building up to a severe case of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which may result in ataxia, muscle weakness, lethargy. As the disease progresses often a bloated abdomen is noted along with diarrhea and vomiting. If not properly treated death is the result.

Occasionaly an inflamed (or cancerous spleen) may start acting up and leak blood into the abdomen which will cause the symptom you have noted.

If your dog's gums are brick red in color get packing. If your dog's gums are white get packing even faster. If you dog's gums are pink you can obey the speed limit. In any event get your pet to a vet asap.

Good luck! I hope the little guy does well.

Went to Vet. She asked all the questions. He didn;t eat anything while out walking because he never gets off the lead. He was not in contact with other dogs. He came home played in the yard then both Dogs were in the laundry room where they "live" . Then he was hurt??? The Vet said it was neurological and spine damage??? I was thinking how on earth could this happen. We didn;t take the car so he wasnt; jumping in and out of the boot and he was always on the lead so I knew exactly were he was and nothing abnormal happened.
Though he may have tried to get under the shed in the yard and Murphy the Old English is a heavy dog if he played rough. Anyhow the vet gave him injections and let me bring him home to rest. She seems to think it is caught in time and should be getting better after a night sleep and maybe more injections tomorrow. I have to take Gizzmo back to see her tomorrow night.

All very upsetting realyl as I don;t know what happened to him he was fine on our walk today. I feel bad??????
Oh yeah I spelled Schnauzer wrong in the title and can;t figure how to chnage it on this new site? Anyone want to tell me???
Oesdog

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom