Scientists create GM 'superchicken' that doesn’t spread bird flu

On the GM soybeans, the idea of being able to spray Round-up on the soybeans at any time, which would kill the weeds but not the soybeans, was sold to farmers as a way to reduce the amount of herbicide needed. This sounds great from a cost and environmental standpoint, why wouldn't you do it?!?!?

But then the pollen from the soybeans drifted into the fence row and pollinated the bean-family weeds there. Which through natural processes allowed them to also become resistant to Round-up. Which means we are now spraying more Round-up than we were before to kill the same weeds.

So we need to think about what we are doing, obviously. It is hard to see all possible outcomes on any proposed action.

Quote:
It occurs to me that if all industrial chicken producers went to this GM chicken, then ANY outbreak of avian flu may cause regulations against non-GM birds in backyard flocks as a health risk to people.

I can see a population panicking and asking for such regulation if it could be shown that the first human case came from a backyard flock.

So much to consider....

This may be a little off topic, but I think it mates well enough.
Some scientists who were studying prehistoric Raptors and the probable genetic tree that evolved from them or maybe parallel to them. They decided that they had a lot in comon with birds. Particularly chickens. They manipulated DNA in embryos which allowed the chicks to develop teeth and a dinosaur like tails. Apparently the DNA is already in the embryo but it is non functioning due to evolution, but I have digressed....Anyway, I would LOVE to have some of THOSE chicks!!! Talk about Frankenchicken!

Quote:
Then I say that's why I grow and eat my own Heirloom vegetables and crops.
wink.png

Also, who needs raptor chickens when you have Oriental Gamefowl?
wink.png

5348254102_8c77b1f23a_z.jpg

5304772842_51c0e082bb_z.jpg

Last edited:
We want a fast growing bird for meat...So we create a bird that grows so fast it's feathers and organs can't keep up.

We want our birds to not featherpeck in their cramped conditions...So we chop off the bird's beak.

Our birds need sunlight, and fresh air...So we give them a lightbulb, and a fan/ventilation.

The fans aren't enough, and our birds overheat...So we are working on featherless chickens.

We want our birds to not be sick in their dirty living quarters...So we genetically modify them, as well as give them multiple vaccinations, and antibiotics.

So when does it stop? And when do we actually fix the problem at hand?

I'll pass the GM superchicken, and stick with my hardy dual-purpose fowl. Only then do I feel comfortable eating chicken, or eggs.

Sounds like another attempt for the giant food companies,chemists and politicians to control all of the food we eat,and lining their pockets with money.Heaven forbid we try to feed ourselves.

Does Monsanto have their fingers in this pie? Then, no, thanks. We already turned the Earth's corn crop over to them, I don't want them owning my chickens too, or suing me for "accidental fertilization"
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom