Scissor beak chick

Just a curious question, with the top beak curve and the bottom straighter, over time could bottom start to curve from the pressure of the top? With regular filing and the normal pressure from eating cause the top to grow straighter sort of correct itself so both are more even? Just reminded me of an issue I had with a toenail, the way I walked as a kid I'd curl my toes down for some reason and eventually one of the nails started curving and would stay flush with my skin probably all the way to the bottom of my toe if I'd ever let it, took a year of trimming it extra short and it started growing out straight again which made me wonder if patience and maintenance could help retrain beak growth at all?

Just a curious question, with the top beak curve and the bottom straighter, over time could bottom start to curve from the pressure of the top?
It probably wouldn't cause the bottom to curve too (not that it's something that should be tested out) but it can cause chipping and cracking on the edge/tip of the beak, wherever the edges don't line up right and are striking against each other. So for me that's reason enough to do some maintenance work every so often, to minimize beak damage, and to help the bird maintain whatever ability it has to eat and groom.

It probably wouldn't cause the bottom to curve too (not that it's something that should be tested out) but it can cause chipping and cracking on the edge/tip of the beak, wherever the edges don't line up right and are striking against each other. So for me that's reason enough to do some maintenance work every so often, to minimize beak damage, and to help the bird maintain whatever ability it has to eat and groom.
Definitely no testing, I meant what would happen naturally. So far it appears most people put the bird down when beak problems show so it was more if anyone kept theirs if it would get better over time.

I have a 4 week old crossbeak with my broody and I make sure they have multiple deep heavy bowls. Try to keep them full so they don't have to fight for food. If you watch them eat and drink and they have a full crop throughout the day they should be fine. If not consider wetting the food and play with consistency. Separate time with food may be needed.. You can also make little "torpedo" pellets I have seen that work with older crossbeaks. I read they can swallow their tounges or they can even fall off. I have been lucky so far with little Frank, my first crossbeak..
I’m new to chicken keeping so I have to ask. Just to confirm my guess based on the name, Is Frank a rooster? Is the cross beak condition genetic?

My newest baby chick is about 4 weeks old and I just now realized her beak is growing wrong now she has a cross beak, or scissor beak deformity. Kinda bummed about it. This will be my first chicken with a beak problem. Quickly learning all about it.
my chickens are strictly pets for me and my family. They are part of our family. I just love animals.
If you honestly have the time and patience for undertaking this do it. Chickens bring me joy and companionship even the little ahole rooster who swoosh around my feet. Me since they are so young I would cull them for the simple reason I just don't have the time. Just food for thought otherwise the advice given is great and have alot of experience behind them.

I’m new to chicken keeping so I have to ask. Just to confirm my guess based on the name, Is Frank a rooster? Is the cross beak condition genetic?
Frank is a rooster I believe. It can be genetic so most advise not to breed them. The cross can and does get worse until maturity. Here's a recent picture of Frank.

Attachments

• 20210704_072042.jpg
    20210704_072042.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom