scissor beak correction?

ironsightfarm

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
New Hampshire
Hi all!

Noticed last night that my 2 week old (today) EE has a very slight scissor beak. I check everyone thoroughly at night check when cleaning up, and haven't seen it until now.

Question is, is there anything I can do to potentially correct / prevent worsening if started soon enough (trimming, etc.)? I've heard of the difficulties hens with scissor beak have as adults and I'm hoping to avoid these for this little chick.

As of now, she's eating and drinking normally without issues, and there are a few bricks in the brooder (holding roosts and grit) that she can rub her beak on.

Any help is appreciated!

Pics please?
It's a skeletal deformation, nothing will improve it and it may get worse as chick grows.
I did look at it more thoroughly this evening. The top portion of her beak appeared to be getting long, so I filed it a bit and got a better look. It's minor right now, but her comb looks "crooked" so I'm guessing it's skeletal :( It seems she has a bit of an overbite, too. Filing helped - I'll keep an eye on it and file as necessary as she grows (such a sweet little thing...didn't mind me fussing with her at all!).

In the pic you can see the gap that is between her upper and lower beak on her left side. This gap does not go away, the lower portion sticks out a little, and is not aligned with the top. From the front (aside from comb) and from her right side her beak looks normal. Sorry about the pic quality - I promise it's the flash making her squint and not that I'm holding her too tight! As cooperative as she was getting a pic of a chick is like herding cats. Hahaha

Attachments

• 20190429_190438.jpg
    20190429_190438.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 29
A pic from the front straight on will show any scissoring.
Not sure filing is a good idea....unless it can't eat or drink.
Hard to say how this chick will progress,
sometimes internal(invisible) deformations come along with skeletal ones.
As long as it can eat and drink on it's own and poop ok,
mild deformations may not detract from a comfortable life.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

A pic from the front straight on will show any scissoring.
Not sure filing is a good idea....unless it can't eat or drink.
Hard to say how this chick will progress,
sometimes internal(invisible) deformations come along with skeletal ones.
As long as it can eat and drink on it's own and poop ok,
mild deformations may not detract from a comfortable life.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
From straight on, aside from the comb, the beak looks normal - the lower portion is not sticking out too much on the side - it's almost as if her upper beak is too large for her, if that makes sense. There is the gap though, which is what I noticed first. She's eating and drinking fine, but the top portion was very long, almost like a little hook, so I only filed that part minimally - it's good to know though to not intervene with that until it becomes an issue!

We plan to give her any extra care she needs and to let her do her thing until a health issue becomes a quality of life issue and then reevaluate. Wasn't sure if something could be done to correct or lessen the severity as she grows, but it sounds like it's a wait and watch kind of deal...you've been so helpful. Thank you!!!

As long as she can eat without too much trouble she should be fine, though it usually does worsen as they grow into adulthood. Having moistened feed and/or feed in a deeper bowl can help her eat. I do clip and file to help my crossbeaked bird with her misalignment, as her beak grows unevenly and starts chipping if I don't, but she has a fairly mild case.

I had a beautiful Rooster that had a very severe cross beak. I did nothing about it. He lived a long life and ate by himself and thrived! From the look of your photo, your chick has a very minor overbite right now. She should do just fine!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Good to know that should it progress there's plenty of options for a healthy and happy hen. Feeling much less stressed about noticing it :D

Back
Top Bottom