Scored a 4x4x4 coop on Craigslist for $60.

luvmychixandducks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Danvers, Massachusetts
Spent a lot of time at the library scanning Massaschusetts and New Hampshire for a coop I could move with a small trailer- finally found one in the next town, but didn't respond in time and was told it was taken. (BUMMER !)
hit.gif

Then.....
Got a follow up message from seller indicating original responder found it too big to move in a pickup truck, and I had next refusal. (YAY!)
thumbsup.gif

I loaded up my 5x8 landscape trailler, brought a come- along and a heavy anchor rope, and with no help loaded transported and unloaded the coop the first folks found too heavy.
(And I'm 65 years old, with both shoulder and knee issues).
I guess it's just how much you really want it....
The coop is made of t111 siding, with an attachment of three nest boxes on the back.
No sliding/trap door for chickens to access- but I can add one easily. The existing hole needs enlarging. Also a couple of vents to allow evaporation of ammonia fumes.
It will also need a couple of windows to add light and solar heat in winter- again, a lot easier than starting from scratch.
Sorry I have no pictures ; no digital camera at this time.
I intend to add trim on the cleanout/poop door, as well as using a sawsall to chop out the threshhold under the cleanout door-
I don't think it performs any useful function, and requires someone cleaning out the shavings to shovel , rather than hoe directly into a wheelbarrow.
Another modification will be to raise the coop onto a platform to allow hoeing out directly from the poopdoor to a wheelbarrow.
Finally, vinyl tiles on the coop floor and a coat of paint ought to make this over into something useful, efficient, cute, and inexpensive.
Eventually a new shingled roof will replace the tarpaper on there now- but it's a low priority.

UPDATE;
The sliding door is in place, and I designed two removable 2x3 roosts that divide the coop just above the tops of the nest boxes- so the girls ought to hop up there instead of hanging out in the nest boxes.
I chopped the threshhold with a sawzall to allow me to hoe out the coop instead of shovel.
Added corner trim where necessary, and filled in the rafters with trim boards to limit drafts.
Next project will be to frame in a window, and using a router, chop out the t111 to accommodate the window.
My window will swing up into the coop hinged at the top, and secure to the rafter above with a line.
This should allow the hens to look outside from both perches and get fresh air in summer.
I purposely kept roosts the same height- so no fighting for the upper roosts.
Once the coop is finished, I'll direct energy to assembling a run- I'm in the process of locating posts and wire now.
No chickens yet, so no immediate time problem completing the run- but that could change if I find some hens I can't live without.
Lots of folks are cutting back their flocks for winter, and It's tough to pass up all of these older but still laying girls that need a new home. Especially when the alternative is the stewpot.
The plan is to hold off and buy POL pullets in the spring- but the price will be up at that time.
I can only accommodate about four, so want to choose wisely.

Back
Top Bottom