Scraching but toe nales are still very long

15shenyl

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Yakima Washington
My hens are able to free range all day and put them self's to bed at night. They scratch around in the rocks, grass, and dirt but their toe nails are still very long. One has a naile starting to curl up. I don't know what i should do about this. Should i cut/file them down or higher someone to cut them? Can anyone tell me what I should do?

You are on the right track. I would try once more to trim the nails down a bit more. If you can see the quick or slight color change in the nail you could try to cut just before that. Little at a time. It does take practice and the curly toe nails can cause quite a bit of discomfort as well. If you trim some more and a toe bleeds then you are getting a rough idea where the quick is. Dab the bleeding nail with a cloth and if necessary dip the toe in flour, corn starch, something to help slow things down. It will eventually stop..

Trust yourself and give it a shot. Steve Please try the google thing as well and read up as kaklinkelly suggested...

What type of clipers do I use? We have one for our dogs, but that doesnt seam right. Also where could I buy a pair if the dog clipers dont work?

I watch my girls nails and if I thought they were getting too long, I would use the dog clippers and just take the tip off to start with and work my way back maybe twice a week until they get to the length I want. That's what I do when the dogs nails get too long. Another tool I have is something called pedi paws. It's a battery operated nail grinder. Kind of looks like a dremel tool. It files the nails. (check it out online) Regardless what you choose to do, just know that you are spending more time with the chickens and teaching them how to be comfortable while being handled. You might want to wrap the chicken in a towel if you have to do it alone. That's what I've had to do with our cat once or twice. Another pointer is the insure you are holding the toe and the nail that you are working with so the animal cannot pull it out of your hand while you are cutting the nail. I think it also stabilizes things a bit

As a side note, when my children were younger, the first time I clipped my baby girl's nail I got the quick and she bled. I never wanted to do it again. she cried, I cried and apologized to an infant that didn't speak. Clearly, I overcame my fear. She survived and turned out just fine
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom