Scrambled eggs... How many and often for sick hen

There's a chance it could be coccidiosis to! I say, administer Corid!
IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

Yeah the flashlight made all the difference in the dark room. She was not interested in the chicken feed so wanted something that I could put probiotics into and get her a bit stronger. This morning she has eating at the feeder! One hen pushed her out of the way and then she went back to it. :)
Was treated with Ivermectin on the skin as was whole flock. Ive only ever done the DE for deworming and in dust baths prior to this. So obviously it didnt or hasn't worked for the lice so vet said good idea to use Ivermectin which will get the lice and any possible worms too. No fecal done.

Diagnosing what is causing the lethargy is key... eggs are good in moderation.. loaded with nutrients and easy to digest. However they are 34% protein and a whopping 64% fat... which could lead to a whole host of other problems.

So When was the last time your hen laid an egg? **8 hens with her. She lays blue eggs as do 2 others. No blue eggs in about a week. Tough to tell when she did.

Is she pooping? **What does it look like? Very watery. I assume because she has not been eating much and just drinking with bit of nibbles.

Are you able to check her crop and see if it is empty in the morning before she has access to feed and water? **Can do if I get up earlier then they do ;) It was full this evening after 2nd egg mash.

What is your regular feed? **Mega Layer pellet. Black oil sunflower seeds were added about 3 weeks ago. They (1 Roo and 8 hens) get about 3 small hand fulls throughout the day added around the feeder and I mix some into the feed.

How many others in the flock? **9

Current weather? **Coolish (14 night and tops in lows 20s duing day).

Ever worm or have a vet you can take a fecal float to? **Been doing DiamT. earth in feed every couple weeks. Not given an actual dewormer.

What breed is she? **Cream crest Legbar

Any recent addition to your flock? **No. New hens in another barn about 2 weeks ago. No contact at all. Those hens have been laying well and very healthy since arrival.

Can you use a flashlight and check after dark for parasites like lice/mites. **Not seen anything when looking but not looked in dark with flashlight. Can try that tomorrow.

Also get a good look at her vent, is it clean or caked, regular flesh colored or swollen or angry looking? **Looks normal.

Is she staying with the flock when they forage or where is she hanging out at? **Goes out with them in the morning to a very large grass run. Its all grass with some sand in a couple spots. No mud or muck. She was in the coop mid day pecking around the feeder by herself. Not in the feeder though, just the small pieces around it.

Adding your general location to your profile can help others to make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;) **Ontario Canada.

Poultry nutri drench has some amino acids in addition the vitamins and such. It's really one of the best supplement products on the market and a good choice if a boost is needed. **I did give her some of this today directly into mouth. She took it well.

I suggest avoiding tossing all kinds of fixes at what you aren't sure of as far as herbal remedies and such and work to get to the roost cause instead of possibly masking symptom or adding to them. Sounds like you have done just about all you can as far as support goes! Answering the questions might help us get clues so we can try and help our best to. :fl

Answers in quote above... Thanks for input!

So far none of the symptoms described are quite like coccidiosis... while it is possible... I will repeat... it's best NOT to throw all kinds of unknown fixes at things and complicate matters even more. All the nutridrench and other things given would make the Corid irrelevant. And coccidia can and do develop resistance to these drugs so they won't work when we need them to... especially with incorrect dosing being used.

I don't have an avian medical degree... but I agree that we are most likely looking at a reproductive issue or maybe even a cancer type thing.

OP, 3 hand fulls of BOSS per day is WAY too much for 9 birds... could result in fatty liver syndrome as well as other deficiencies... What is "megalayer"? The protein and calcium % inside it? Thank you for answering the questions!
Thanks. Megalay is a 16% protein. Not sure of calcium level in it off hand. They do have oystershells available and a small amount mixed in feeder as well. The BOSS are not handfulls... they are maybe half if that. I grab some and still have to open the door with that hand. lol.

have treated her for worms and lice as suggested by vet.
Did the vet run a fecal float and see cause to treat for worms? Or said just do it? What was used to treat the worms and lice? Honestly, I think these are secondary issues. But controlling secondary issues can help recovery from primary problem... as things often works together to try and weaken immunity.

Yay, for regular poops!

Thank you for reporting back about your difference with the flashlight! :highfive:

Honestly a little moistened chicken feed will give better nutrition than scrambled eggs. Maybe mix them together even... Hope she continues to improve! :fl

Hi there, I wondered what the outcome was for you? I have a cream legbar with exactly the symptoms you describe... and I've done all the things you have too (she visited the vet yesterday). Finally eating again - scrambled egg.
Would be interested to know if she was okay in the end?

Back
Top Bottom