Scratch and treats

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I am dealing with a coccidiosis outbreak that I think I have under control now. In that past I have just thrown scratch or treats around the run, and I can't think of another way to do it. Even if I put treats on a "clean" surface they will just grab a piece and run around with their trophy until they find the perfect place to eat it. After getting it covered in dirt of course. I have read to not feed them off the ground to prevent things like coccidiosis, but that doesn't seem possible, or at least beneficial with chickens being chickens???

.... besides, coccidiosis is everywhere. They don’t just get it from pecking at the ground, chicks in a brooder who have never been outside can get coccidiosis just by you being outside, touching your car where a wild bird previously pooped / landed and bring it back to them that way. Coccidiosis is EVERYWHERE since it’s spread by wild birds so treating them at first indication is best - once they get a little older they should develop a natural immunity and then your concern with them pecking at the ground will be more of parasitic worms like roundworm / tapeworm. Chicks brooded by a chicken almost never get coccidiosis bc the mother actually gives them small doses of it, which helps them develop an almost instant immunity.

I have 18 birds. My run is large, but it's just dirt and there are ample droppings. I want to put wood chips down, or something for them to turn over and the droppings to get lost in. The older birds never had an issue with coccidiosis. Either because they free ranged or because they inherited the coop and run brand new. Several of the young ones have had bloody droppings, but it's seems to be clearing up with corid.

That’s a hard one, bc if you think about it they forage all day long and peck at the ground all day long. So I’ve always thought, what’s the difference? I happen to have a gigantic 1 acre run so I bring the treats to the least trafficked area and toss it there. Or you could always put down a clean tarp when it’s treat time, throw the scratch on there and then remove it when everyone is done (or a large piece of wood).
how many birds do youhave? If it’s just a few, I would get one of those large rubber bowls from TSC and put it in there.

Back
Top Bottom