Scratch Grain- Why it's useful in flock management and nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
he told me to feed my hens laying pellets & some greens

This seems to be the topical answer that comes from a vet or a aviary vet. Most know about "cage birds" health/ nutrition but vary few have a idea on poultry health/ nutrition which is quite different from other animals including "cage birds".

You are best off feeding "scratch" in the mid day and feeding there complete feed in the morning and at night before they go to roost.

Chris​

Actually, I think it's hard to argue with the wisdom of this particular advice if you're giving a good quality, balanced, layer feed. Scratch will only reduce the protein content of the diet and can interfere with laying and feather production if you feed too much of it.

I believe it is also generally recommended to have chicken feed available to the flock all day so they can feed free choice.

Scratch will only reduce the protein content of the diet and can interfere with laying and feather production if you feed too much of it.

Depends on the type of "Scratch" you are using and or what you are calling "Scratch".
Keep in mind, a least 60% of a layer feed is grain. Most people over feed protein so by adding some scratch grain to the diet is not going to hurt that much. I can see more problems with over feeding protein than I can see a problem with feeding some scratch grain.

Here is a quote from Buckeye Nutrition on feeding there Scratch Grain

Mix 60% Buckeye Gold Standard Crumbs and 40% Buckeye Gold Standard Scratch when mixing a ration for laying hens.

There seems to be a lot of people that think "Scratch" is junk or candy for chickens, when feed correctly there are a lot of benefits to feeding scratch.

I believe it is also generally recommended to have chicken feed available to the flock all day so they can feed free choice.

I don't full feed. There is no point to it, except to wast feed.
wink.png

Chris​

I'm sure they recommend adding scratch because that particular layer feed is 20% protein. The majority of layer feed is only 16% protein. Many people live in areas where 16% protein is all that's available. I wouldn't cut a 16% protein layer feed with that much scratch, if that was all they were getting.

Quote:
A good percentage of the people on here feed a 20% multi-flock feed like Flock Riser.
As I said before it depends on what you are calling "Scratch", I fed a 16% pigeon grain as a scratch for years.
wink.png

Chris

Does anyone use fermented oats? i just started doing this and they love them, but My main concern is they really don't care that much for the Flock Raiser pellets and I feel I am wasting the feed that is so expensive, if it's not wet or damp in the evening i hold it over till the next day. My chickens free range from the time the are let out in the morning till they go in in the eve, I just started throwing some Homestead 7 way scratch out for them in the mornings, and they get a treat of meal worms in the afternoon.

Resolution,
Satiation as in them being satisfied with the complexity and diversity of feed? This is what I am having a problem with. I am not happy with feeding them a processed feed that is so far from what they would find naturally. I too feel that is more for the comercial feeders than me, as a backyard chicken owner. I want them to get the bulk of their feed by foraging....with a healthy supplement for those times that they can't get out. I am looking at using a pigeon feed (whole grains) as a base to build on.
sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom