Scratch Grains Vs Mealworms

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
What’s the difference between mealworms and scratch grains. I know mealworms are a source of protein. But what are scratch grains used for? I believe someone told me that scratch grains aren’t good for chickens or they should be given in the winter more then the summer. Thoughts?

They are both treats and should be fed as such. Good scratch encourages foraging(they scratch for it), it can contain a lot of nutrients but it's not supposed to be their main food. I think the winter thing is a myth, maybe to keep them folsom getting bored.
I know a lot of people that use filler feeds around here (basically things that are lower in nutrients but the bird eats after their actual feed is gone to help them stay full and have calories to burn for heat). Corn and scratch is used for that here. Usually they'll get the same amount of chicken feed as in fall, and then free feeding of filler feeds

I do not use scratch grain in the winter because in a cold climate there are no insects or grass to eat as they search for the grain. It just dilutes the protein content of their ration. During the growing season the green vegetation and bugs add to the protein of the ration and laying is excellent, while ration consumption is lower than winter.

I feed scratch grains daily, to get them out of the coop so I can clean.
Small amount, not enough to dilute their 20% feed much.
The 'winter' thing is a myth that it helps keep them warm all night when fed before roosting time.

Never feed mealworms, too expensive.
Yeah good animal protein, but lots of fat so should be used sparingly.

Scratch grains are made out of corn and other grains. They are high in carbs and low in protein. Mealworms are the larvae of grain beetles, and are high in protein. Both should be fed to chickens as snacks. I don't give scratch at all, but give mealworms as a snack, especially when chickens are molting.
Yes i only give them mealworms maybe twice a week, and only a handful :)

All of the above. Scratch and Mealworms are both treats, should not exceed 10% of the daily diet, as both are nutritionally imbalanced. Typically used as an enhancement/enrichment activity, not because it improves their feed (quite the reverse, actually), but to provide entertainment (to you, in part) and to encourage certain behaviors - like digging/scratching to seek food.

"Scratch" traditionally is a high percentage corn mix (because its cheap, readily available, stores well) often with some amount of seeds or additional grains mixed in (milo, millet, boss). End result is a high energy, low protein, imbalanced amino acid profile feed - like you trying to live on plain white bread or white rice which has NOT been enriched.

"Mealworms" are animal protein, and a decent amount of it. Its both balanced, and much higher protein% than most owners feed their flock. Often fed either as a treat, or as a buffer when a bird is experiencing protein stress (such as during a severe or prolonged molt). Unfortunately, mealworms can be as much as 15% fat (live) and 40% fat (dried). Since the target for fat as a percentage of total daily feed is usually given around 3.5% +/-, you can imagine how quickly excess fat from mealworms can begin to accumulate in your birds, contributing to fatty liver disease and the like.

BOSS are similar, in that they are high protein, high fat, but as a plant, rather than animal, protein source, the amino acid profile is less than optimal. They are also quite high in fiber, which has its own issues. Stripped of the shell, they are less protein and more fat than a comparable weight of the typical dried mealworm.

Better, I find, to offer a higher protein, nutritionally complete diet year round, instead of trying to "fix" a commercial feed on the farm, by hand, trusting that you are measuring correctly and the birds are partaking equally. That's generally not the reality.

Hope that helps, though I've really said nothing the others above haven't either said or alluded to.

Last edited:
I only feed as treats. Corn I give a bit more during the winter, since it's supposed to help keep the birds warm over night. Seems to work for me, especially with the mixed flock coop, which has a larger surface area then the other coops. Frost bite hasn't been much of an issue, & my Malays(Not supposed to be a winter hardy breed)have survived a very cold night at 18, & 19 degrees.

I can't recall exactly where I read it, but I have always been under the impression meal worms increase body temperature, so is best fed before roosting and in my climate (very hot, subtropical) I should avoid feeding during the highest heat point of the day. So I have stuck to that just to be safe, I grow meal worms and soldier fly so they're abundant and free for me. I feed organic whole scratch grains sprouted or as fodder (younger plants). I rarely feed it dry, I use it to replace greens in winter. I get 5lbs of fodder for every pound of seed, so it makes more sense to use it that way to me, a 35lb bag equals 175lb of feed grown out. A lot of choices will be dependant on your climate and the availability of forage.

Back
Top Bottom