Scratch grains vs. wild bird food

justincasei812

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Mid Michigan
I am wondering how much of a difference there is between scratch grains and basic wild bird food other than price. it's $12 for S.G. 40# and $6-7 (on sale) 35# wild bird food? I use wild bird food as a treat for my chickens. It gives them something to scratch at while in the run in the summer or to get them back in their run after they have been out in the yard for a while. In the winter I will add the bird food to their feed at a low ratio (8# of bird food to 50# layer feed) just for something a little different. If I find the big can of rolled oats on sale I will add that to the mix as well. Summer time I don't mix their feed but will just put the scratch out for them in the run. In the winter my chickens get a little finicky about going out in the run when there is snow on the ground so it would be a waste. Mixing it in their food helps stretch it out a little more and the cracked corn and other seeds have a benefit for them.

Look at the protein % for the bird feed. Scratch can be from 7-9% or more. The scratch I buy is 9%, better than most. The bird seed bag should list % of protein.

Do it, wild bird feed that is. I use it as base for my own scratch blend. I buy the Royal bird seed from TSC. White bag, red lettering. It contains millet which has 16mg calcium per cup. The shells on my eggs are solid and I don't supplement with oyster shell. Dried Alfalfa chaff if good thing to add as well.

Back
Top Bottom