Screeching hen?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
This faverolle is just full of surprises-
Most of my posts on here have been about her.
Anyway, right now, our dark faverolle is on the nesting box. It seemed normal to me, so I started focussing on the others. Then, after a few minutes, I heard a very unpleasant scream coming from the coop. I look inside and see the faverolle bunched up into an angry little ball. She was yelling at the other hens who were just trying to feed. Her neck feathers were on end and she stared at the others like she was protecting the nest or something.
I've never seen any of them do this before. Is this a sign of something?

Hello! Good evening. How are you today? Sounds to me as if you have yourself a broody hen! Her health sounds perfectly fine. Screeching is a normal hormonal instinct when a hen starts to brood. Quite funny/nerve wrecking at first to hear... But it's normal. :)
I wouldnt have expected her to go broody this early ^^ She's only about 7 months now, and she's, honestly, the last hen I would have expected to go broody first.
Thanks for the response!

hqdefault.jpg

This is a broody hen I stoled off of the internet. If she looks like this when you put your hand in with her--she'd definitely broody.

She might be broody even if she doesn't do this (one of mine doesn't.), but the fluff-and-homicidal-death-glare is a definite first clue.

I've been thinking about actually letting the first hen to go broody hatch and raise a chick, but I don't know if this is the right time. Any suggestions on that?

And here we go with another question:
Our Plymouth Rock (who we recently found out wasnt a Leghorn) just started throwing hay on her back. Im guessing this is normal, but why is she doing this?

Our Plymouth Rock (who we recently found out wasnt a Leghorn) just started throwing hay on her back. Im guessing this is normal, but why is she doing this?
Normal.
So is screeching...several of my birds do this while on the nest to lay(not broody) it's a warning to leave them alone, that they are using this nest and don't even think about trying to come in here.

Back
Top Bottom