1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Screening Sand

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hawgon, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Will screening sand be ok for my run? Confused on what sand will be best....Thanks for any input....Also should I add straw or pine shavings to the sand?.....Thanks again...[​IMG]

2. screening is not strong enough to keep out predators. As far as sand goes...see if you can find course or river sand. Play sand is too fine and compacts, causing it to not drain that well.

3. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Bairo-Putting 1/2" hardware cloth around my run for protection and security, I was just talking about on the ground of the run if screening sand was ok. The sand lady said it had sand as well as a little bigger material in it. Thanks for info...Trying to find "River" sand but nobody has it or calls it by that name.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I wouldn't think that you need to screen sand. It should be OK as is. The larger pieces will be good grit for your chickens.

Imp

5. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Found "River Sand" about 1/2 mile from house $25/yd........Yippeeeee

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know what screening sand is. What I used was concrete sand. I paid 28 $ a ton. It works alright. I don't add anything to mine. I have 4 inches in my coop also. I do put straw in it.

7. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    We use road base in the coop and dog run. It packs a little and doesn't make dust but it still drains because of the gravel in it. Also no need to buy grit [​IMG]

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sand is sand
    Buy the cheapest you can find and don't overthink it

9. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks Bear Foot Farms-I have to remember they are chickens...They have done pretty well without us humans I guess...

10. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry Hawgon, but I live in the land of sand (Florida Gulf Coast) and I have never heard of "screening sand". Can you give me a clue what we're talking about?

Beers y'all,
    Ken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by