SDS in Illinois

eslyder92

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Palatine,IL
I woke up this morning to find 4 of my 5 chickens (4 months old) laying on their backs dead. They were fine and happy yesterday and this morning they were dead I looked up what it might be and the only thing that seems right is Sudden Death Syndrome. I am now worried about my 5th chicken might die also, she seems fine but she is now alone all of her sisters dead. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen and what can I do about a hen with out a flock? Will she get depressed? Is it to late to get more chickens? I have so many questions.

I’m sorry for your loss!!

You might want to send one or all
Into the state lab to get a necropsy done so you will know for sure what killed them.

The lone chicken will be lonely bc they are flock animals. You could give her to another chicken keeper to integrate into their flock, or you can add to your current chicken with new chicks or started pullets (which are around 16 weeks of age).

I’m sorry for your loss!!

You might want to send one or all
Into the state lab to get a necropsy done so you will know for sure what killed them.

The lone chicken will be lonely bc they are flock animals. You could give her to another chicken keeper to integrate into their flock, or you can add to your current chicken with new chicks or started pullets (which are around 16 weeks of age).
Thank you this is very helpful

UPDATE: Results from the necropsy: UNDETERMINED. The lab couldn't pin point a cause. They said this is common in SDS and some times young hens just die. :(

UPDATE: Results from the necropsy: UNDETERMINED. The lab couldn't pin point a cause. They said this is common in SDS and some times young hens just die. :(
Did you send the bodies to the state vet in IL for the necropsy? I would worry about mold in the feed or eating a to in of some sort in their feeding area causing 4 deaths at once. Chickens don’t just die 4 at a time. There must be a cause. How old were they? Were you letting them out to free range? What type of water and feed set-up do you have? Very sorry for your loss.

Did you send the bodies to the state vet in IL for the necropsy? I would worry about mold in the feed or eating a to in of some sort in their feeding area causing 4 deaths at once. Chickens don’t just die 4 at a time. There must be a cause. How old were they? Were you letting them out to free range? What type of water and feed set-up do you have? Very sorry for your loss.
Yes I did send the bodies to the state lab in Champaign, IL. I am very skeptical of the finding also. Shouldn't be any issues with food or water set up I have a very nice setup made out of PVC. They don't free range because I live on a suburban lot but they have a very big run to spend their day in. When I called after getting the results I was told that the only thing is that they might have died from Temperature shock because that night it dropped from 90 to 39 in a matter of two hours but they could not be certain.

Back
Top Bottom