Sdwd

Quote:
shhhhhhhhhhh....its a chicken secret!!

If we told you, a BIG BAD rooster might chase you 'round the chicken yard!!!
gig.gif

smile.png
Good morning everyone. It actually is a breathable morning today. 68 degrees but the 90's will be back by 1 or 2 o'clock again.
When I went to get eggs late yesterday and close the coop I had a hugh snake in the nest full of my eggs. Sorry snake lovers but it is no more. enough said. You just don't steal my babies eggs!!!!
somad.gif

Today is work in the coop day. I need to put some strips on the edge of the linoleun on my poop boards. It is trying to curl inspite of the adhesive. I guess it is the weather. Last year as recorded in Asheville we did not have any days in the 90's but this year we have had over 20 of them. Whew! nothing like it since 1952.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
to everyone here, we need them this time of year. Gloria Jean

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
shhhhhhhhhhh....its a chicken secret!!

If we told you, a BIG BAD rooster might chase you 'round the chicken yard!!!
gig.gif

I have a big net and a stick...​

The flock block here is kind of expensive....I can picture my own chickens descending like vultures and it being gone within an hour, so I haven't tried it yet. If I walk through the yard with a clear container of scratch some of the chickens are leaping through the air and pecking the outside of it AS I walk. I don't think they will have any problems figuring it out.......

On a related note, I live on a hill and my back yard is very hilly....steep spots and flat spots and not so steep spots. Yesterday i was carrying a 2 quart open pitcher of flockraiser up the hill to the duck bowls.....for some reason I decided to try to sidestep up the really steep part. Feet flew out from under me and I came crashing down on my left hip....right arm extended straight out with the open container as I tried to catch myself........of course, the food was flung through the air and landed straight on my head. Human Flock Block. I'm pretty sure I still have feed in my right ear. I'm lucky I was able to get up before I started losing body parts. Flockraiser flavored food lady. Crunchy.

Last edited:
Morning!

Hillbilly Hen...the little woman in love with my DH is also the snorkeling chicken...Miss Cannonball. That Dellie just has to stick her head into the water containers...as in submerge.

Seed blocks are fine but frankly I think they are a bit pricey so I bake my own.
smile.png
The birds love them.

Here is my recipe for them:

I use:

3 Cups of Hen scratch
1 Cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 Cup flaxseed flour
1/2 Cup grits
1/2 Cup of medium ground cornmeal
1 - 2 Cups of rolled oats
1 TBL of honey
1 or 2 Eggs
Plenty of hot water

Optional: wild bird seed, millet, groats, winter wheat berries, crushed egg shell etc etc.

I mixed it all together and poured into well greased baking pans and baked at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours...until it was hard to the touch and browned. The inside may be soft because of the grits cornmeal and etc...but it is okay as long as you let it cool well.

These I baked to take down to Georgia for speckledhen's crew. Of course Suede had to have his own, Isaac his own, Dutch his own and an extra for the heck of it.

HPIM7172_edited.jpg

Quote:
LMAO we thought a couple of them were gonna explode, we took the seed block away until the next day. They were HUGE.
gig.gif

Good morning friends! Awwww, a big cool off here today .... only gettting up to 85* the weatherman says!

Fellow BYCer TomHusker is stopping by to pick up Jersey Giant chicks I hatched for him. It's always nice to meet BYCers. I met his wife awhile back when she picked up some Lavender chicks.

So, what are your plans today? I think I will go out and see how many of my chickens want to take snorkeling lessons. I thought maybe Cannonball would give them all lessons.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom