Sdwd

You know it's cold when water in the bucket ices over five minutes after you put it outside!
barnie.gif
Betcha they learn to drink fast there .
Do you have electric handy ? Best thing I found is bird bath heaters. They automatically come on at 35 degrees with built in temperature switch.
I leave them in the bucket w/ chicken nipples on it all winter. I notch the top of bucket rim so plug hangs out. Works great.
Farm Innovators C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt

They are not real cheap but last over the cheaper ones. Two years and no problems with this model . And the temperature switch is in the water so you are not heating till the water temp gets down to 35 degrees.

Betcha they learn to drink fast there .
Do you have electric handy ? Best thing I found is bird bath heaters. They automatically come on at 35 degrees with built in temperature switch.
I leave them in the bucket w/ chicken nipples on it all winter. I notch the top of bucket rim so plug hangs out. Works great.
Farm Innovators C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt

They are not real cheap but last over the cheaper ones. Two years and no problems with this model . And the temperature switch is in the water so you are not heating till the water temp gets down to 35 degrees.

Well I couldn't find the C-50 150 watt bird bath deicer, but I did find the "cord connect" that I was looking for. I tried to find one in HD but the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Oh I'll have to look in the "bird bath" Section though I still can see where to order anything.

This is my concern, (freezing). My intend is to work on my flock. Weighing and culling til I get them up in weight. The same with my other breeds.
I will be learning to process, so growing them out will help improve my selective breeding. Too I have friends who can use the meat. So not only will I be donating eggs, but chicken as well.
You would be a great friend . Let me know when you have your free shipping specials. LOL
Just kidding - Just put 13 in the freezer . Well actually today they been aging on ice in the cooler.

I hear talk of milk being $7 a gallon around here. In NY we pay more than other places. I've friends who have kids and I remember how tough it was for use having four.
Too, they have their kids like mine in a private Christian school and I know that it is not cheap.
Too, we have seniors who can use a hand now and then.
There is a senior housing center in the works, but it may be a couple of years away.

IMHO, grand parents are an integral part of the family unit. My new grandson is only 4 wks old and I've baby sat him three times already while dad worked and mom went to appointments.

I was singing "grampas little baby loves shortening bread" and his 3 yr old sister informed me, " no he doesn't , he likes milk! ".
lau.gif

Would the aluminum birdbath warmers not interact with the ACV?
I use to sing that song to my Grands too. I had forgotten about it and the rememberance made me smile. Thank you

Would the aluminum birdbath warmers not interact with the ACV?
I use to sing that song to my Grands too. I had forgotten about it and the rememberance made me smile. Thank you
I don't know but I ferment feed with the ACV w mother so they don't need it in water especially in winter. They get plenty in the soaked grain. Good thought though.

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. While we do have electricity running to the coop, it's pretty much taken up with the heater and the light. Yes, it's just that dang cold here that I've actually broken down and turned on the heat. It just wouldn't do to have Chief loose points on his comb, ya know!
wink.png

I'm not opposed to going out every few hours and breaking out the ice. It's good exercise! I can do that far cheaper than buying heaters for the water buckets, even if I did have the additional outlets for them. Yes, I'm a tight wad!
gig.gif
It runs in the family!

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. While we do have electricity running to the coop, it's pretty much taken up with the heater and the light. Yes, it's just that dang cold here that I've actually broken down and turned on the heat. It just wouldn't do to have Chief loose points on his comb, ya know!
wink.png

I'm not opposed to going out every few hours and breaking out the ice. It's good exercise! I can do that far cheaper than buying heaters for the water buckets, even if I did have the additional outlets for them. Yes, I'm a tight wad!
gig.gif
It runs in the family!
Well agree - If it gets into teens here I have a heat lamp set with green house thermostat that comes at 40 degrees. Currently we have light bulb timed to come on at 4 AM . egg production is back up.

I have two waterers with heaters but the other three coops don't. I carry hot water in gallon milk jugs in the morning and afternoon. Funny those coops are the only ones laying. I don't think the nipple waterers give them enough for production. Keeping in mind that chicken eggs have more water than duck eggs.

I do think the C50 bird bath waterers would be more economical than what I have now.

Hooooeeeeee! It's COLD out there!! It's about 3F out there right now [8:50 AM]

I don't mind the cold so much, but the chickens ain't too pleased about it, I can tell ya! Poor Goobey. He had ICE on his back! It's not a ventilation issue. It's just that dang COLD!!! We could really use a nice insulating blanket of snow, right about now!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom