Sdwd

Ick - you guys are sick! Eat squirrel? That's like eating rats or mice.... rodents!
sickbyc.gif
This past week I have eaten Squirrel, deer, rabbit, and raccoon.

Only if I were desperate. Never say never, but I would have to be mighty hungry....
It was random scraps ground together and cooked into a thick spaghetti sauce and it was very good. I was annoyed when i learned one night the meat was raccoon. Not because of an ick factor, I'm an adventurous eater, but because I told my family I don't want to eat raccoon because of rabies issues. I know I know, cooking the meat should be enough to destroy the virus and the danger is in handling infected raw meat, and they live trap then observe the animal for a week while feeding it before slaughtering it, but I still have a hang up over it.

Last edited:
Gray squirrels and fox squirrels are in a different group than rats and mice. I ate them many times as a child and enjoyed them. Mom, par boiled until tender then fried them like chicken yum, or dumplings yum yum. They are not scavengers. Gloria Jean

SDWD took a weird turn today, LOL.

Ike fell off the roost last night; thank goodness for the baby monitor in that coop or we wouldn't have known. Though he seemed unsteady afterward, he was crowing this morning and is none the worse for wear, as far as we can tell. He must be sleeping more soundly as an older guy, but he's not that old. He'll be 4 years old in February.

Ick - you guys are sick! Eat squirrel? That's like eating rats or mice.... rodents!
sickbyc.gif
So are rabbits Mrs. Kathy. Squirrels are strictly vegans; rats, mice, coons, not so much LOL

If ya'll are worried about something that eats filthy; its CHICKENS they eat everything, literally everthing. You ought to see my cousins Bull-pasture,not a cow pile to be found as they keep them leveled and cleaned up they have the orangest/thickest egg yolks out of all my layers too, LOL My neighbor requests the banty and game eggs(my rouges) specifically. He knows what they are and where they came from too.
gig.gif

Jeff

Ahhh, brings back my years (and years) in my son's involvement with rabbits in 4-H. Rabbits are not rodents (Rodentia), rabbits are from the family, Lagomorph.

I think that question is on every rabbit knowledge bowl test.

lol.png

Deb
This (my previous post)- was all wrong by mistake of not following up a study on my part LOL imagine that huh?
duc.gif

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom