seabright colours

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tingle, Sep 14, 2009.

1. tingle

tingle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Hi I recently saw an ad for some buff sebrights are these a seperate colour or are they produced by mating a gold and silver together.If this is not the case what colour would a gold and silver cross produce?

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I am no expert but I believe the Buff laced were created by breeding the Silver and Gold together.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If Buff Sebrights were created from Golds and Silvers, then I'd imagine it would take several generations before getting the buff color laced with white. I don't know much about the Buffs.

But when crossing a Gold to a Silver:

If the Father is Gold and the mother is Silver, then all pullets will be Gold like the father, while all roosters will me a mixed offcolor of silver/gold. Same thing happens with a Silver father: all silver pullets.

That's the general idea.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Buff laced sebrights are gold laced with the addition of dominant white to the bird ( a buff bird with a white lace).

If they are solid buff then they are made by out crossing a gold laced to a buff breed.

In either case, the breeder would have to outcross to produce another variety.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by