Sealing Plywood?

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
My coop is framed like a standard house and panelled off with untreated plywood to form walls.

I like the look of the plywood and don't want to paint it.

Is there a product that I can paint on that is clear and will seal the wood protecting it from rain and snow?

I take it that the plywood you are talking about is on the exterior of the coop. I have plywood on the inside of my coop and have nothing on it at all. For exterior, you can use a clear product like Thompson's preservative. Cuprinol and Olympic make one as well. I have used Cuprinol in the past with good luck. If you want some shine to it, a satin polyurethane will work. Good luck with your project.

big_smile.png
I wasn't aware all these products existed. Sounds like a trip to the hardware store!

I would use polyurethane, multiple coats. Or on the exterior you could use deck sealer (Thompsons Water Seal etc etc) but I would not personally use them indoors as they take quite a long time (days, even weeks) to dry *fully totally*.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Use deck sealer! You can get it in a few tints if you don't want clear. DON"T use polyurethane on the outside!!!! The weather & sun will make it peel & crack in 1 summer. I was a cabinet maker for 20 years, & I've seen several patio cabinets ruined by not useing the right finish.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom