Seattleites

Quote:
They are not hard to raise at all. They are very friendly. Here is the picture on 9/20
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63890_chick3.jpg

Cute! so the feathered feet do not need to be cleaned etc?

I got the eggs free when purchased my RIR hens and it good for incubator experiment. I am not doing any cleaning or trim the feather. It seems too much work. There is a lot of folk raising marans in the state and they do have feather feet as well. I do like clean feet chicken myself, but I can't complain for free hatching eggs. The chick currently in the main coup so will see how they are doing in next few months.

Do you have good luck with quails? How noisy are they when crow? I am consider raising some next year.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cute! so the feathered feet do not need to be cleaned etc?

I got the eggs free when purchased my RIR hens and it good for incubator experiment. I am not doing any cleaning or trim the feather. It seems too much work. There is a lot of folk raising marans in the state and they do have feather feet as well. I do like clean feet chicken myself, but I can't complain for free hatching eggs. The chick currently in the main coup so will see how they are doing in next few months.

Do you have good luck with quails? How noisy are they when crow? I am consider raising some next year.

I have not tried any of the feather footed due to possible problems but then I know nothing about them yet.

Quails are quiet the crows are about 1/2 the volume of a chicken or there abouts. We have fun raising and selling them. I have not been able to eat any lately since I have so many wanting to buy birds lol

Be sure to research them well as they are caged/fed/etc different then chickens but once setup is done its the same work as chickens.

I am now selling a few button quails on CL so I have some photos I can share.
These guys are so small! Hatched on the 12th of Sept.

64807_101_0750.jpg

64807_101_0748.jpg

and this is one of my monsters.. 1/2 Black Jersey Giants 1/2 Black Star
This one has a nice reddish black feathering. Hatched 18th Sept
64807_101_0753.jpg

Hey guys, I'm in West Seattle. How's it going? I have three mallard ducks, all drakes ooo boy! One's a wary scaredy-cat, one's a meany, and one's my little angel who sleeps on my lap and nibbles my nose when I nuzzle him. I think it'd be cool to meet other bird-heads, though not sure about getting any more right now.
Quails, how adorable! Can you really eat them when they trust you enough for them to let you pick them up, or do they?

Hey, I'm in West Seattle too! I have 5 hens, all 20 months old. 2 EEs, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Blue Wyandotte. Raised these girls from day-old chicks.

Wow, there's been a huge raccoon population this year. No accidents here yet, but my neighbors' flock was wiped out recently.

Quote:
Oh yeah I can eat em (coturnix) they are quite tasty!
big_smile.png
The ones I showed in photos are button quails and they are to small imho to eat. they are used for aviary floor cleaners in finch cages. and as pets!
I sell mostly coturnix females (egg layers) and a few males so the extra males get to goto freezer camp.
A covey of 10 hens and a roo can fit a nice rabbit hutch and you get 10 eggs a day with the right light/food
smile.png
(over 300 a year!)
Most people don't know quail noise/crowing and mistake it for wild birds so no rooster complaints.
They are very cold hardy as long as they have wind/rain weather shelter.
Each egg weighs about 8-9 grams, one medium chicken egg is about 50 grams so its about a 5-1 ratio but depending on your setup you can have a lot more birds per space.

incubation time is 17-18 days
Chick to laying adult/processing is 6-10 weeks

So a lot more birds per year can be raised for meat/eggs
smile.png

Coturnix Hatch-lings
64807_101_0905.jpg

Heres some at 3+ weeks old
64807_101_0898.jpg

I really need to get some adult photos
smile.png

I breed the Dark Ranges, Manchurian Golds and some Whites. Just started Fawns.
The top photo has my first fawns (light ones) and the rest are wilds (natural wild coloring)

Quote:
Cool!
Yeah, I have noticed the raccoons too-I stare daggers at them through the windows. The ducks come inside at dusk, so I don't worry too terribly much, but so sad for your neighbor
sad.png

Rainwolf-That sounds really cool. So does it satisfy your poultry needs and your egg needs too? Or do you ever go to the store (or neighbors) to get eggs and chicken?

Oh yeah, and I live near Lincoln Park and I am currently spending a lot of time taking care of my grandma's house, which is super near the Junction.

Back
Top Bottom