Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I'm big time against animal cruelty. I won't even let my grandsons use wild birds for target practice.
I would hope not since its illegal.

I had a scare this week with one of my ganders. I saw him being mated by one I know is a gander and the one in question also is rubbing or pulling out a spot in his chest. I tried vent sexing with no luck. He is my only Seb gander so I was worried. Well... he is a he. He was fighting with the other young gander we have here this morning and putting up quite the opposition so I broke that up and was relieved to find he is a he. The other young gander is also rubbing or pulling a spot in his chest so maybe its a 'new to hormones' trend up here. Still no eggs and I have yet to see anyone mate my lovely Verbena.

I would hope not since its illegal.

I had a scare this week with one of my ganders. I saw him being mated by one I know is a gander and the one in question also is rubbing or pulling out a spot in his chest. I tried vent sexing with no luck. He is my only Seb gander so I was worried. Well... he is a he. He was fighting with the other young gander we have here this morning and putting up quite the opposition so I broke that up and was relieved to find he is a he. The other young gander is also rubbing or pulling a spot in his chest so maybe its a 'new to hormones' trend up here. Still no eggs and I have yet to see anyone mate my lovely Verbena.
Ash this has been a really unusual winter and my geese started laying in Feb and the eggs were all frozen and had cracked. I was so upset that we had to take all over 40 eggs out and I do not have chickens so did not bother to cook them cracked. Just disposed of them. Threw most into the woods maybe to feed some hungry critter's from all the snow.
I was upset that maybe they would stop laying eggs. But they have started again and I have now two grey sb sitting on one nest they went broody and a white girl who went broody over 2 weeks ago. The grey sb's one went broody a week and a half ago the other just decided today to sit in the nest with the other.

So your geese will start laying when they feel it is right...

Thank you Ruru. I keep worrying that this Verbena is the odd goose out. She is the only white full curly here. The other full curly is a saddleback. [btw is this what you mean by sb?] She seems to fit in just fine with the other geese who are all either smooth breasted or saddleback Poms. I really hope my Seb gander figures out she is amazing and at least gives us a few babies. I can't imagine having to find another gander for her.... its like a dating service for geese! Remember that dating show with the three potentials behind a screen? I feel like that is where I am headed. I am crossing my fingers and hoping I am ready to be a momma to so many little babies... or any. I have raised four so far so... "I think I can" :)

Thank you Ruru. I keep worrying that this Verbena is the odd goose out. She is the only white full curly here. The other full curly is a saddleback. [btw is this what you mean by sb?] She seems to fit in just fine with the other geese who are all either smooth breasted or saddleback Poms. I really hope my Seb gander figures out she is amazing and at least gives us a few babies. I can't imagine having to find another gander for her.... its like a dating service for geese! Remember that dating show with the three potentials behind a screen? I feel like that is where I am headed. I am crossing my fingers and hoping I am ready to be a momma to so many little babies... or any. I have raised four so far so... "I think I can" :)
Yes sp means saddleback... I do remember the dating game! Just about the time you think all is going wrong the geese will began the breeding. I hope it is soon for you, Being in Maine they are talking another snow storm to hit the Northeast coast. That puts a nitch in the breeding game! Winter just does not want to let go this year. I am in the Midwest and it is suppose to get snow again Tuesday or Wed....?
th.gif

I personally think that my Sebbie Gander has a sense of humor. Coming up to bite me is a game. He walks up snaking his neck low and I turn around and he waddles away shrieking HONK HONK HONK! Like he won! Maybe he just wants the Mrs. to think he won. I don't think she believes him anymore. He seems to be more huff and puff than effort. What comical sweet birds. I can't wait to get a few more pair this spring. It's the waiting...........

I probably asked this before on this thread but just to make sure, will a pair of sebbies get along with a couple male ducks? I have three male ducks and I am very interested in sebbies. I was thinking a pair of sebbies but if that won't work with my ducks will two girls or ganders work if any?

Back
Top Bottom