Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I have a question. My Sebastopol goose has made a nest, and has so far got 3 eggs in it!! We have had a really warm spell in the weather recently (high of 60s), but the predicted weather for this coming weekend is seriously cold (single digits!). That's Vermont! :) My question is this: is there anything I can/should do to keep her eggs from freezing? She's not broody yet, but I think she is sleeping on the nest at night. I'm mostly worried about the day-time and early-evening temperatures, which will probably be 20ish degrees at the most. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I don't have a Sebastopol but a Toulouse female and until weather gets nice and stays that way I will take her eggs. She'll keep laying then once it stays nice and warm leave the eggs. She'll go broody. We've had crazy weather too close to 70 today only in the 40's for highs tomorrow. 20's for lows. @NEgoosegirl

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I have a question. My Sebastopol goose has made a nest, and has so far got 3 eggs in it!! We have had a really warm spell in the weather recently (high of 60s), but the predicted weather for this coming weekend is seriously cold (single digits!). That's Vermont! :) My question is this: is there anything I can/should do to keep her eggs from freezing? She's not broody yet, but I think she is sleeping on the nest at night. I'm mostly worried about the day-time and early-evening temperatures, which will probably be 20ish degrees at the most. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I would take the eggs away from her. A frozen egg is a wasted egg. First eggs of the season aren't typically fertile so you could crack one open to check fertility, fire up an incubator or date them and wait for her to sit. Only give her the freshest eggs.

Thank you Miss Lydia and Percheron chick! I appreciate the advice. I may end up taking them, because it's true -- a frozen egg is a wasted egg.

I am looking for a pair of sebastopol geese like in the picture (not mine), hatchlings or hatching eggs. I would prefer white. If anyone around Middle TN has some please let me know. (We are in McMinnville)

My little girl fell in love with sebastopol geese when visiting a farm last spring looking at chickens. We decided to wait on getting geese until this year depending on well she/we did with the chickens. She LOVES her chicken babies and is playing with them pretty much any time she is home and doesn't mind chicken chores at all. She has even won daddy over to chickens with her love them. She even brings them in the house for him to babysit while she is pretending to cook for them and stuff. They ride in her stroller and get toted everywhere.

She has been raising baby chicks to save money to get her some curly feathered geese to love on.
(she would pick the expensive ones to fall in love with...)

The only problem is when we contacted the person who's geese she fell in love with to see if we could get eggs or hatchlings we found out they no longer had any of their geese, that they had downsized and went back to just having chickens.

We have found some at hatcheries online but would prefer to find local. If we end up having to do hatchery which would ya'll recommend?

Hello Ruru,
I bought 2 Sebastopol hatching eggs last summer off of Ebay. I know that is risky but I had good luck with Guieas. However, only one Sebastopol survived and it is smooth coated. When I asked the seller about it, she responded that she had both and that she did it have any control over wether my eggs would be curly or smooth? So... tells me a lot about her integrity.
I am now looking for some new hatching eggs. The photos of your Sebastopols are beautiful. Do you sell hatching eggs? Or know of a reputable breeder who does?
Sincerely, Carol Bass
Unless she had her geese separated (smooth vs curly) then there would be no way to know who mated with who, and which egg belongs to which goose.
Doesn't mean the smooth isn't pure sebastopol either

Greetings everyone:) so these are my three Sebastopol goslings, French Toulouse and American buff.They shipped in two days from Metzer farms and all are doing well so far:).I will keep updating as they grow. I am so curious how the Sebastopols will look as adults. Does anyone have any pictures of any Sebastopols purchased from Metzer farms?

Last edited:
Chinese Sebastopol cross first one .

What else can I feed my geese ? We are in a drought and grass is dead. We are giving them wheat, they are not happy with the 3 grain feed from Rural King. Help.

Back
Top Bottom