Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

thumbsup.gif
Completely agree!
Thanks for your advice everyone!

One more question; is there a good reason to use the "economy nest" box to ship in instead of the "single ready to go" box? I am shipping a pair and thought the single might work. I can see if you needed to ship a trio, that you would need the bigger box though.

Question for your seb experts. I have 3 yearlings from last year that I thought were geese (girls). I have one paired up with a gander and the other 2 are with their dad. None of them have started laying yet, even though my gender-known trio of yearlings have been laying for at least a month here. I have never seen any obvious sex-identifying behavior like breeding etc. Here are the things they do; they are all 3 with ganders and I have never seen the gander breed them, they specifically stay out of the pools and don't let the boys get close to them. They do not seem to like to be locked up with the ganders at night. And they don't talk unless everyone is upset. My other geese honk at me a lot especially when I am close or collecting eggs. The 3 in question are very quiet, don't act like girls except being submissive to the ganders they are with. I have never seen any of them fight with the ganders they are with. All 3 were raised by their parents last year. The 2 with their dad are also with mom and aunt that have been laying for about 6 weeks and just finished setting on a clutch. So they are near breeding/laying behavior if it rubs off...
Does anyone have any advice about this? I am wondering if they are all ganders?

I am pretty new to vent sexing, but will try to vent sex them today.

Question for your seb experts. I have 3 yearlings from last year that I thought were geese (girls). I have one paired up with a gander and the other 2 are with their dad. None of them have started laying yet, even though my gender-known trio of yearlings have been laying for at least a month here. I have never seen any obvious sex-identifying behavior like breeding etc. Here are the things they do; they are all 3 with ganders and I have never seen the gander breed them, they specifically stay out of the pools and don't let the boys get close to them. They do not seem to like to be locked up with the ganders at night. And they don't talk unless everyone is upset. My other geese honk at me a lot especially when I am close or collecting eggs. The 3 in question are very quiet, don't act like girls except being submissive to the ganders they are with. I have never seen any of them fight with the ganders they are with. All 3 were raised by their parents last year. The 2 with their dad are also with mom and aunt that have been laying for about 6 weeks and just finished setting on a clutch. So they are near breeding/laying behavior if it rubs off...
Does anyone have any advice about this? I am wondering if they are all ganders?

I am pretty new to vent sexing, but will try to vent sex them today.

If you haven't gotten eggs, then vent or DNA sexing are your best bet to figure out what you have! I try to do it when they are young, because it's quite a struggle vent sexing a grown goose!

LOL!!   I have a nest like that too!  My Lucy was off of her nest and bathing in the pools with the other 3 geese yesterday.  I looked out across the yard at the nest and SWORE there was another goose on the nest!!!  I only have 4 geese, and no I had not had any wine (yet)!!!  :lol:

Congrats Lisa!!!!    They are adorable!    :thumbsup   

Thanks! I think Baby Gigi is from my girl Scout's egg, and her boyfriend is....Simon! Simon is a daddy now! she's small (b/c the egg was smaller) and such a cutie pie!

here are the first batch of three

Congrats! OMG they are so fuzzy and cute. <3

Daze- it does sound like a bunch of young ganders. At least they are being smart and laying low. If you penned one up with a known female out of sight of the older ganders you might start seeing breeding behaviors. I have seen roosters do that a lot- they will stay immature until the dominant roo is out of the picture, then suddenly shoot up and take over once he's gone.

Congrats! OMG they are so fuzzy and cute. <3

Daze- it does sound like a bunch of young ganders. At least they are being smart and laying low. If you penned one up with a known female out of sight of the older ganders you might start seeing breeding behaviors. I have seen roosters do that a lot- they will stay immature until the dominant roo is out of the picture, then suddenly shoot up and take over once he's gone.
Good test! Thanks! We vent sexed one of them and she looks like a girl... how late have any of you had a goose lay?

Thanks! I think Baby Gigi is from my girl Scout's egg, and her boyfriend is....Simon! Simon is a daddy now! she's small (b/c the egg was smaller) and such a cutie pie!

Woohoo!!! I was looking over my hatching notes from last year and Simon just celebrated his first birthday last week!!!
Boy, these kids sure are starting young these days!!!
old.gif

Woohoo!!!   I was looking over my hatching notes from last year and Simon just celebrated his first birthday last week!!! 
Boy, these kids sure are starting young these days!!!   :old

Yes, if you remember, our 3 girls were hatched the same day as Simon...so Scout and Simon are practically twins! Only they aren't related, so they almost had a baby on their bday...just off by a few days. :p

Back
Top Bottom