Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

All of mine have been trained to the words "bedtime." My birds (chickens, ducks, guineas, turkeys & geese), all 125+ of them, are so used to the routine that my 6 & 10 yr old children can put each pen to bed without assistance. They see my kids heading their way anytime after 4pm this time of yr & they head for their coops & boxes & wait to have the door closed. Their usual bedtime is 6pm in fall/winter & 7-8pm in spring/summer.

I am on day 4 with treating bumble foot with TicideNeo and I see less black spots and more new skin. The geese are also getting used to the routine. They will now stand nicely in the dish pan without me leaning over to hold them still. These 2 things are very encouraging. The only thing that concerns me is that the bottoms of their feet are turning white. Like they are bleached out or something. Does anyone know what this means?

My geese started laying eggs already!! We have four eggs so far! The ganders are not nice right now! One of the ganders is HUGE. His feathers are beautiful, and he is from a Sebastopol breeder, but I'm just surprised at his size. Is this normal? He is probably twice the size of the females.

My geese started laying eggs already!! We have four eggs so far! The ganders are not nice right now! One of the ganders is HUGE. His feathers are beautiful, and he is from a Sebastopol breeder, but I'm just surprised at his size. Is this normal? He is probably twice the size of the females.

I just recently attended a show with my sebbie hen (who won her class and took reserve breed) and the judge mentioned how nice it was to see one that was not oversized and was a true medium sized goose. I asked him later what he meant and he told me that many people are now breeding them too big.

I just recently attended a show with my sebbie hen (who won her class and took reserve breed) and the judge mentioned how nice it was to see one that was not oversized and was a true medium sized goose. I asked him later what he meant and he told me that many people are now breeding them too big.

I have three males and two females and the huge gander is the youngest male and not allowed to breed but he really is pretty! I think he's only 10 months old or so and is scared of everything lol. His head seems not as rounded on top as well. I'm setting the four eggs tomorrow so hopefully they are fertile. Any others I get I will have to sell.

Most of my over-sized sebs are solid colored ones. That is why I am keeping some whites with nice type in the flock for now.

As for the eggs- they may/may not be fertile- it is normal to get a few eggs off season. I would recommend not hatching now unless you live in a really warm climate. Would not want to be heading into December with goslings here- no way.

Winter has arrived. This morning my geese woke up to snow for the first time. Here's some pictures.

Goosey is an 8 month old smooth breasted sebastopol goose from CelticOaksFarm.

Gooser is a 5 month old sebastopol gander from an unknown breeder.

Most of my over-sized sebs are solid colored ones. That is why I am keeping some whites with nice type in the flock for now.

As for the eggs- they may/may not be fertile- it is normal to get a few eggs off season. I would recommend not hatching now unless you live in a really warm climate. Would not want to be heading into December with goslings here- no way.   

He is solid white.

They seem to be breeding a lot. We just moved and have a huge barn with 6 acres. I only got 10 eggs from our goose last year, so I'm worried this will be it for the season. I'm building a big house for the adults by the pond so she may quit laying eggs for awhile after the move. Being eight months pregnant makes moving a bunch of birds a lot harder! We also have a pair of peacocks now! The people that lived here before left all of their birds.

Wow- congrats on the farm! And the new baby :) I hope you get more eggs this time around. I was really disappointed last year too. Been so used to the Toulouse laying for 7 months straight- I though the Sebs were playing tricks on me when they quit.

Back
Top Bottom