Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking that Ginger might be show quality. We are trying to get people to join the colored Sebastopol club on Facebook. So we can start getting members to get the colored Sebastopol approved for showing.

Quote: I found it, waiting for somebody to approve me since its a closed group. I could see you & Sherry on there, so I know its the right place.
wink.png

I found it, waiting for somebody to approve me since its a closed group. I could see you & Sherry on there, so I know its the right place.
wink.png
Glad you found it. We are hoping serious breeder's of colored Sebastopol's come and join who want the colored sebs to become breed to show. You can show them now as AOV but can not compete for Grand champion of the show, I think that is what is it called. I have a lot of learning to do on this.....
frow.gif

I was just given 2 geese from a lady because her neighbors where complaining about them. One is a Sepastopol and the other is a Pilgrim. I was hoping I could find out the sex of them from this thread but there are way too many pages to read thru. What I have read I would need another of each to compare them to. Is there a particular characteristic that each may have like a particular shape to the bill or anything like that? I would like to get each of them a mate but I need to find out what these are. The lady that had them has no idea. They where young when she got them and they appear to be full grown now. I'll have to get pics tomorrow because it's too dark now. I have them in a pen to keep them safe till we can build them a pen. I'm not set up to raise waterfowl at the moment but will be turning my large pen into an enclosure for them. I live on a very busy road and nobody would stop if they got in the road so they are safer in a pen. It's the wrong time of year to be buying a pool for them so we will have to make due the best we can for now.

Anyway, If anybody has any advice I could sure use it. Feeding, housing anything would help. I have no idea what their needs are. But I am researching it on the internet now.

They can make do with a large bucket or deep pan for water until spring. They need to be able to dunk their heads to clear their nasal passages. They will also throw the water up over themselves & preen (clean & oil their feathers) with the water they splash over them. Make sure they have an area of dry bedding where they can get off the cold ground to get warm. They will need a small shelter. A dog box or similar size will work for just 2 but you will want a bit bigger for more birds. They will eat the same food as your chickens & love grass. They will nibble hay if available.

As for sexing, I can sex them as babies but not as adults unless I have another to compare them to. You can send in feathers to have dna sexing done. I believe someone posted a link to a cheap testing facility in the last couple pages.

I just wanted to ad to Silkies' comments. I had a customer who bought a pair of sebs from me and used those colored 2 gal buckets for water bowls and she had her goose get in the bucket upside down and drown! I have not had this problem, but I will not be using those buckets anymore unless they are hung on a wall off the ground. Wanted to warn others. I use large cement mixing pans from Home Depot. They are like $6 and hold about 10 gallons. They last out in the weather for about 1 year. Then I use kiddies pools as well. Mine love it and do well. Good luck with your new birds!

Back
Top Bottom