Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I use 5 gallon buckets with no problems. They are tall enough to keep them from climbing in. I also use 6-8 inch deep plastic tubs so they can hop in & out easily. I use children's wading pools as well in summer but still keep a 5 gal bucket full since it stays a bit cleaner than the bath pool.

Here they are. The lady that had them said that they follow her everywhere and are ery friendly but where we live they have to be penned. I have an old metal wash tub like pan for them that holds 2 12 gallons of water. Every time they see me they do what theyre doing in the first pic. I open the pen and they come right to me but I"m still afraid to get pinched. It hurts so I always chicken out and pull my hand back. The lady was feeding them a mixture of chick feed and chick grit. Although chick feed is always on hand here , so is scratch and layer pellets. I would imagine they could eat what my chickens eat. I mix a little scratch in with their layer pellets in winter. IN summer I'll toss them some as a treat. I have mostly silkies so they don't digest corn very well, thats why I don't give them more.

Anyway. Would they eat things like baby spinach and lettace like the packaged kind in the store? What about things like fish, or tuna, salmon or mackerel in the can? I won't be able to feed them it all the time but as an occassional treat maybe. I didn't find much information about them as far as all of what they can eat.

As far as the buckets, I also use the 5 gallon buckets but we cut them in half so they aren't so deep, bad thing in winter they get broken when the grandson don't want to break the ice the correct way instead he wants to kick the bucket and break the side out. Sooo I don't have many of those left but I think the pan I gave them will do for now. I'll move them to the larger pen in the spring and get them a kiddie pool. There is no grass in any of my runs but I grow crops in the garden for them so they all get fresh greens and we have this weed that grows all over the place in bunches that all the birds love like their favorite candy. I have a few patches of it that get so thick I just reach down and pull it up and fill a bucket without making a dent in the patch. I need to find out what that stuff is.After the hard freeze there are still small patches of it growing. It's hard to kill.

Anyway. Here are the geese I got.

The Seebie always extends it's head and neck when it sees me and between honking it hisses but it did this with the lady too. So I don't suspect it's being mean. I'm just chicken to get pecked at. I know it hurts. When I get used to them I'll get braver. I have to get in the pen with them one of these days soon and remove a ladder that is in there that the Guinea used to perch on in the house part. The house part of the pen is on the other side. Do they have enough space for the winter in this pen? I hope so. I can't really let the keets out yet and they're in the large pen right now. I have about 27ish of them in there. No other pen is big enough for them. Anyway, I will take all advice and put it to use. I have a notebook I"m putting it all in.

Here they are. The lady that had them said that they follow her everywhere and are ery friendly but where we live they have to be penned. I have an old metal wash tub like pan for them that holds 2 12 gallons of water. Every time they see me they do what theyre doing in the first pic. I open the pen and they come right to me but I"m still afraid to get pinched. It hurts so I always chicken out and pull my hand back. The lady was feeding them a mixture of chick feed and chick grit. Although chick feed is always on hand here , so is scratch and layer pellets. I would imagine they could eat what my chickens eat. I mix a little scratch in with their layer pellets in winter. IN summer I'll toss them some as a treat. I have mostly silkies so they don't digest corn very well, thats why I don't give them more.

Anyway. Would they eat things like baby spinach and lettace like the packaged kind in the store? What about things like fish, or tuna, salmon or mackerel in the can? I won't be able to feed them it all the time but as an occassional treat maybe. I didn't find much information about them as far as all of what they can eat.

As far as the buckets, I also use the 5 gallon buckets but we cut them in half so they aren't so deep, bad thing in winter they get broken when the grandson don't want to break the ice the correct way instead he wants to kick the bucket and break the side out. Sooo I don't have many of those left but I think the pan I gave them will do for now. I'll move them to the larger pen in the spring and get them a kiddie pool. There is no grass in any of my runs but I grow crops in the garden for them so they all get fresh greens and we have this weed that grows all over the place in bunches that all the birds love like their favorite candy. I have a few patches of it that get so thick I just reach down and pull it up and fill a bucket without making a dent in the patch. I need to find out what that stuff is.After the hard freeze there are still small patches of it growing. It's hard to kill.

Anyway. Here are the geese I got.

The Seebie always extends it's head and neck when it sees me and between honking it hisses but it did this with the lady too. So I don't suspect it's being mean. I'm just chicken to get pecked at. I know it hurts. When I get used to them I'll get braver. I have to get in the pen with them one of these days soon and remove a ladder that is in there that the Guinea used to perch on in the house part. The house part of the pen is on the other side. Do they have enough space for the winter in this pen? I hope so. I can't really let the keets out yet and they're in the large pen right now. I have about 27ish of them in there. No other pen is big enough for them. Anyway, I will take all advice and put it to use. I have a notebook I"m putting it all in.
Congrats on your new geese they are beautiful, you really don't want to feed geese out of you hand, even when they are being gentle they can accidently bite and it hurts. but also they can get to familiar and you want to show them you are their leader not the other way around, so don't act afraid around them, stand tall and talk to them quietly but do go inside with them, take along a mop handle and if you don't want them to come close just put it out in front of you to make them keep their distance. Chick feed isn't so good for adult geese, and all flock feed would be better, and I give my flock chopped lettuce, collards, cabbage, even hang heads of cabbage for them to eat and play with, kale, but I understand spinach isn't good for them, also soft hay like timothy can be given to them. even my ducks and chickens eat on it. honking and hissing is normal goose behavior and can mean they are stressed , afraid or saying back off your too close to my mate if you have gander and goose. Pen looks fine but if you can provide more space they will be happier, and buckets/pans needs to be deep enough that they can wash their whole heads in. I've never tried feeding my geese tuna salmon etc. my goose will eat dried mealworms but not my gander, his favorite treat is whole corn and I usually give him a small handful every other day.

Congrats on your new geese they are beautiful, you really don't want to feed geese out of you hand, even when they are being gentle they can accidently bite and it hurts. but also they can get to familiar and you want to show them you are their leader not the other way around, so don't act afraid around them, stand tall and talk to them quietly but do go inside with them, take along a mop handle and if you don't want them to come close just put it out in front of you to make them keep their distance. Chick feed isn't so good for adult geese, and all flock feed would be better, and I give my flock chopped lettuce, collards, cabbage, even hang heads of cabbage for them to eat and play with, kale, but I understand spinach isn't good for them, also soft hay like timothy can be given to them. even my ducks and chickens eat on it. honking and hissing is normal goose behavior and can mean they are stressed , afraid or saying back off your too close to my mate if you have gander and goose. Pen looks fine but if you can provide more space they will be happier, and buckets/pans needs to be deep enough that they can wash their whole heads in. I've never tried feeding my geese tuna salmon etc. my goose will eat dried mealworms but not my gander, his favorite treat is whole corn and I usually give him a small handful every other day.
x2 Definitely don't act afraid of them.

My mom has a phobia of feathery wings flapping (yes, really). We used to think it was hilarious as kids when she ran screaming down the hall with my grandma's parrot flying after her. Anyway, my geese totally had her number when she fed them while I was on vacation. The geese that were completely mild mannered with me turned into terrorists around her. Then she started driving over to throw her watermelon rinds to them (she lives down the road). Now they love hearing her car pull down the driveway and cause quite a ruckus, they are so excited to see her coming. They no longer attack the watermelon lady.

x2 Definitely don't act afraid of them.

My mom has a phobia of feathery wings flapping (yes, really). We used to think it was hilarious as kids when she ran screaming down the hall with my grandma's parrot flying after her. Anyway, my geese totally had her number when she fed them while I was on vacation. The geese that were completely mild mannered with me turned into terrorists around her. Then she started driving over to throw her watermelon rinds to them (she lives down the road). Now they love hearing her car pull down the driveway and cause quite a ruckus, they are so excited to see her coming. They no longer attack the watermelon lady.
I find that hilarious too. Glad to hear they have made friends.

Just pm anyone who has them & ask if they will be selling eggs or babies. If they have a list ask to be put on it & notified when eggs or babies are available.

I am the one with the geese. I was wanting to know if there is anywhere on BYC that you could start a waiting list without violating any rules.

Just pm anyone who has them & ask if they will be selling eggs or babies. If they have a list ask to be put on it & notified when eggs or babies are available.

I am the one with the geese. I was wanting to know if there is anywhere on BYC that you could start a waiting list without violating any rules.

If you have sebbies yoy can put me at the top of the list...lol

Back
Top Bottom