Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I can't think of anyone else who would be willing to do it. Neighbors are far and few in between out here.

Cochins, what a nice neighbour you have!
As long as your geese can get all the water they want in that 30 minutes, I´m sure they´ll survive ok. A good idea not to leave dry food around, though because they need the water to wash it down. Sounds like your neighbour is keeping a good eye one them for you. How very nice, coming out in such cold weather to look after someone else´s geese....lovely person.

Yes, I'm very thankful that she's willing to go out in this awful weather to check on them. I'll ask her to remove the food when she goes over tomorrow morning.

How long are you away for?

We're gone until Friday. Temperatures should warm up a bit on Wednesday so hopefully the heated water dishes will begin working soon.

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone else who would be willing to do it. Neighbors are far and few in between out here.

Yes, I'm very thankful that she's willing to go out in this awful weather to check on them. I'll ask her to remove the food when she goes over tomorrow morning.

We're gone until Friday. Temperatures should warm up a bit on Wednesday so hopefully the heated water dishes will begin working soon.
Is there any way your neighbour can go there, give them a good feed, give them water, fiddle about for 5 minutes or so, and then take their feed away, as they should have had it all by then...then they can be left to wash it down as they need for the nest half-hour before it freezes over again? As long as they eat and drink every day they should do ok until it warms up. Do you feed them corn? Not everyone does, but I believe it helps keep weight on a goose. And they eat it quickly, too.

Is there any way your neighbour can go there, give them a good feed, give them water, fiddle about for 5 minutes or so, and then take their feed away, as they should have had it all by then...then they can be left to wash it down as they need for the nest half-hour before it freezes over again? As long as they eat and drink every day they should do ok until it warms up. Do you feed them corn? Not everyone does, but I believe it helps keep weight on a goose. And they eat it quickly, too.

I give them corn, sunflower seeds, and lettuce as treats regularly. My gander loves corn, but my goose refuses to eat it. She'd rather have her pellets and lettuce.

I'll instruct her to do just that. I miss my geese and I can't wait to get back home...

I had to thaw out dishes today twice so just before they went to bed I went out and broke the ice enough for them to get a drink before bed. Then I went back out and collected all the water dishes and thawed them out. In the morning I'll take them all back out and give them enough to last a few hours till I go out and either break the ice, thaw it out or pour them more. Our temps are going up to 21 tomorrow then above freezing on wednesday and warm up as the week ends. I have a sick hen. This is a sebbie thread but just after 1 cold day and night she is wheezing so I have a chicken in the house on antibiotics so far. I think one of my juvies is falling ill. I may just need to give her a hair cut so she can see. That may be the issue. I hope thats all it is

I had to thaw out dishes today twice so just before they went to bed I went out and broke the ice enough for them to get a drink before bed. Then I went back out and collected all the water dishes and thawed them out. In the morning I'll take them all back out and give them enough to last a few hours till I go out and either break the ice, thaw it out or pour them more. Our temps are going up to 21 tomorrow then above freezing on wednesday and warm up as the week ends. I have a sick hen. This is a sebbie thread but just after 1 cold day and night she is wheezing so I have a chicken in the house on antibiotics so far. I think one of my juvies is falling ill. I may just need to give her a hair cut so she can see. That may be the issue. I hope thats all it is
Cold does us all in, eh? I remember so well in England having to do this for my aviary birds.
Here, I worry mainly about mine in the winter when it rains...at night it can get quite cold (nothing anywhere near what you guys are getting, at times we get a frost!), but when it rains my chickens get chilled sometimes. I´ve made shelters for them, but they tend not to like them and roost on top of them! Now if it´s raining before they roost, they´ll go under their roof. But if they´re on the top and then it rains during the night, they get wet...and one of them maybe then gets chilled. Others are tough old birds. I give them ACVinegar when they get like that, they soon pick up as the days are warm. I hope yours soon picks up. And I suppose the other will soon feel better if it can see its food!
lol.png

Cold does us all in, eh? I remember so well in England having to do this for my aviary birds.
Here, I worry mainly about mine in the winter when it rains...at night it can get quite cold (nothing anywhere near what you guys are getting, at times we get a frost!), but when it rains my chickens get chilled sometimes. I´ve made shelters for them, but they tend not to like them and roost on top of them! Now if it´s raining before they roost, they´ll go under their roof. But if they´re on the top and then it rains during the night, they get wet...and one of them maybe then gets chilled. Others are tough old birds. I give them ACVinegar when they get like that, they soon pick up as the days are warm. I hope yours soon picks up. And I suppose the other will soon feel better if it can see its food!
lol.png
I always wonder how people around the world take care of their poultry in difficult weather conditions be it hot or cold. I think it's very interesting the different ways people do things to accommodate for their weather. I've sent eggs to Alaska and I wonder how they keep their poultry in winter. We watch those shows that are pretty much cameramen following people around filming them doing their normal everyday chores in the remote Alaska. Most don't have inside pluming. I can't imagine having to go outside to do my business in the freezing cold. But my big wonder is how do they keep their chickens warm and the eggs from freezing. I got a frozen egg already this morning. She laid it this morning and then 2 others eggs where thankfully still warm.

Moe is hanging in there. She's one of my many favorites. The juvie was fine this morning. I did point her to the food and water. So she will be getting a haircut today. I hate to cut their crests before I show them but there is so much time before shows I hope it grows back. She is beautiful and I have 3 that look almost identical. The only difference is the buff that they have and one has a blue beard. They are so adorable. Here is a pic of the one that needs a hair cut. You can pretty much get an idea of how the other 2 look like. lol

I always wonder how people around the world take care of their poultry in difficult weather conditions be it hot or cold. I think it's very interesting the different ways people do things to accommodate for their weather. I've sent eggs to Alaska and I wonder how they keep their poultry in winter. We watch those shows that are pretty much cameramen following people around filming them doing their normal everyday chores in the remote Alaska. Most don't have inside pluming. I can't imagine having to go outside to do my business in the freezing cold. But my big wonder is how do they keep their chickens warm and the eggs from freezing. I got a frozen egg already this morning. She laid it this morning and then 2 others eggs where thankfully still warm.

Moe is hanging in there. She's one of my many favorites. The juvie was fine this morning. I did point her to the food and water. So she will be getting a haircut today. I hate to cut their crests before I show them but there is so much time before shows I hope it grows back. She is beautiful and I have 3 that look almost identical. The only difference is the buff that they have and one has a blue beard. They are so adorable. Here is a pic of the one that needs a hair cut. You can pretty much get an idea of how the other 2 look like. lol
What a sweet little fluff-ball. No wonder she can´t find her food! lol. I used to have some silkies in England, just normal white ones, nothing special. Funny little things.

I'm back home and my geese are doing great.

So to answer my original question, yes, they can survive - 30 degree weather just fine.

I walked into the barn and my goose ran towards me as fast as she could. She then snuggled up in my lap and began telling me about the awful week she's had. She missed me and I missed her. My gander also walked over and snuggled up next to me. I love my geese and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
love.gif

I'm back home and my geese are doing great.

So to answer my original question, yes, they can survive - 30 degree weather just fine.

I walked into the barn and my goose ran towards me as fast as she could. She then snuggled up in my lap and began telling me about the awful week she's had. She missed me and I missed her. My gander also walked over and snuggled up next to me. I love my geese and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
love.gif
What a relief for you. Glad to know you´re back home with your dear geese. And what a lovelywelcome for you. I love it when my 26 come running up the hill to say "hi". Nice, eh?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom