Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I did a double take on "monkeys" too! It was just always something we joked about because they seemed so unattainable.

Cottage Rose, or anybody- can you elaborate more on the greys and eye color? What about blues and lavenders?

all of our colored stock have brown eyes. Lilac,Lavender, Buff, Blue and Grey. Blue is recessive to brown and the colored varieties were crossed to get the color bringing in the brown eyes.

You've got some lovely birds there and I love the soft colouration of your Lavander.  The heads are nice and it is desireable to have the neat rounded heads and an upright 'stovepipe'neck.  Really lovely :fl

I thought the post was joking until I saw the back of a Colobus Monkey in the background  :eek:

Thank you Pete, I like the 'stovepipe' neck term, yea the geese like to hang out by the colobus monkeys and they use to sleep right next to the wolfs at night.

RURU sounds like an interesting childhood! Lol

HappyMtn "I did a double take on "monkeys" too! It was just always something we joked about because they seemed so unattainable."

HAHAHA

What about buffs?

If I keep crossing blue eyed x brown eyed birds, will I ever get blue eyed offspring? ,

And would that be considered a DQ or just a fault?
I don't know anything about the geese genetics, BUT it seems like it would be possible. Brown eyes in humans are a dominate color, too, but it is possible for 2 brown-eyed parents to have a blue eyed child. It just depends on what recessive genes are lurking....

All right sebbie experts! I need some advice.

I had the best of intentions of getting signed up for a show in November to take the geese to but never got organized with it. A friend emailed me and said there is still time and I have until tomorrow to get in if I want to .

Questions are:
1- It is only a day long show, will my geese be ok being caged that long without too much practice before hand. I will start caging them so they get used to it but will I have enough time? (Show is in 2 weeks)

2- Can I bring colors other than white? I have two curlies that I would love to take, one is grey and one is lavender. What would they show under?

3- Is there anything else I need to do to prepare them? They are pretty dirty from playing in the mud by their pools and just general free ranging. They clean up when it rains so should I just wash them off with clean water before hand or do they need shampoo and several days for oils to re work their way through the feathers?

4- The two colored sebbies are this years hatch and a bird I bought a few months back so I am not positive on sex. I have never tried to vent sex an adult, just as babies. I have avoided it because they scream every time I pick them up for anything and hate to stress them out but what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone for input!!

Was taking pictures of hubby's dewlap toulouse today and my two shadows were following me around as well.

This is Ripple, born and bred here and prefers to be at my feet when I am doing chores.

This is Chance (Cottagerose born and bred), Ripple is showing him the routine here and keeping him company. He now follows me as well, knows I have food and even is learning to hold still when we go to lift him up. Love that he is picking up her good habits by being with Ripple during the day.

Ripple looks a lot like my Claire. They remind me of meringue.
big_smile.png

The birds (and people!)really enjoyed the lovely weather over the weekend. Today, not so much!

The one out front here, whom I think is a boy, is available if anybody needs him. I am wary about putting ads up this time of year and getting the wrong kind of customers or poachers...like we need any more poachers up here!

Back
Top Bottom