Sebastopol or Toulouse

dkyoung5111

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
I was thinking of getting some geese for guardians and rat control. I thought of getting 2 females. One Sebastopol and one Toulouse
Any suggestions? Do you think they would bond both being females but different breads?

Attachments

• 6D9BD0E3-23FE-4C34-8936-6957A1AABD01.jpeg
    6D9BD0E3-23FE-4C34-8936-6957A1AABD01.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 35
For guard geese, most of the time it's best to have only one and the flock to be smaller. Geese might scare predators off or even attack in self defense, but you have to make sure you can care for one or multiple. They might not do much good for rat control, but they can help. ( I still have a good amount of rats by my house even though I have 4 geese ) They both will get along even being different breeds. They can be social to your flock but it's always nice for them to have a friend or gaggle of their own "kind." You can get a male ( they can be louder sometimes. I never noticed a much of a difference. Personally, I think my female was more vocal than my male. )but I thinks it's always best to have more females than males. If you want a male, it's best t have at least 3-4 dames for every 1 gander. Sebastopol geese can be more expensive as the Toulouse geese breed can be more common and sometimes cheaper. It's best to get them as a younger pair so they can bond but also get used to your existing flock. Hope that helps!! :thumbsup

Geese aren’t going to do anything about the rats, geese don’t eat them and aren’t fast enough to catch them.

Geese will not deter predators or protect your flock from predators either.
Geese are smaller and more fragile than they advertise themselves to be, they cannot defend themselves let alone others from even small predators like foxes or raccoons.
What geese can do is deter hawks because of their size and presence, all the hawk registers is that it sees a big bird and wants to avoid it. Bolder hawks and eagles are not fooled though.

If you want real protection a dog is more effective.

Geese aren’t prejudiced against breed or gender. You can have two girls or two ganders just fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom