Sebastopol pictorial - newborn to feathered out

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
I thought this topic deserved a thread of its own.
Somebody asked on Miss Prissy's Seb thread what Seb goslings look like and when do they get their distinct feathering.
Well here's some pics to give you an idea...

New hatches...boy of the left, girl on the right.
The girls tend to have a smoky, gray cap and saddle and the boys are just yellow or have an over all silvery cast to the back as shown here in this pick.
These markings are not always 100% accurate for sex.
standard.jpg

Here feathers are starting to come in.
standard.jpg

Here their pin feathers are heavy with blood and make their wings droop. This goes away after the quills dry out.
standard.jpg

This is a pic of 4 goslings.
The older ones are probably only around 4 months old.
See how FAST they grow! Note the feathers are still
smooth and stiff so don't be shocked if yours look like this at this stage.
standard.jpg

Here are 2 goslings a little bit older than the bigger ones in the above pic. See how the breast feathers are starting to get longer?
standard.jpg

Here are some goslings their first winter.
If they are good quality birds their feather length and density will improve when they have their yearling fall molt.
standard.jpg

People ask me quite often why my Sebsatopols always look so pretty. Well for starters I mainly photograph them when they're in prime feather which is after they molt in the late summer and regrown their new feathers.
They look their best during fall through early winter. Winter conditions, wear and tear and the breeding season causes them to lose some to all of their longer feathers. I have some Sebs that hold on to their long ribbon and streamer feathers through most of the winter and is a trait I breed for. For the most part genetics and proper management/feed/sunshine & grass make a big difference in their cleanliness and feather quality. My Sebs get fresh bathing water year round. Even during the coldest winter months I try to provide them with fresh bathing water at least a few times a week.
Bathing and preening will make a big difference
in your Sebs feather quality. If you are doing all of the above and they still look ratty it's time for some better bloodlines.

This pic is three of my girls that will be 2 years old this spring. Look at the quality of their feathers. They all look like somebody dumped a bushel basket of feathers on them.
standard.jpg

Please feel free to post your Seb pics here.

Vicky Thompson Photography
00a9.png
All Rights Reserved

Last edited:
Thank you all!
smile.png

Just thought it would help answer some of the Seb newbies questions.

Terri very pretty girl. Fun name!
wink.png

My original geese came from Carla Mitchell in Michigan.
She got her's from Metzers which has one of the largest Seb flocks in the US but its a mixed bag if you get anything from them.
I also have some from Audrey Overton which I feel are my best quality Sebs. Audrey is extremely hard to get ahold of. No website and VERY rarely answers email but you can usually find her selling her Sebs every year at the Ohio National Show.

Good topic Vic!

I have some baby pics I can share.....

2355621532_443b31bc35.jpg
newly hatched - 3 white and 1 blue splash babies.

2482362239_e2dfbc3b30.jpg
1-2 weeks old - Blue splash and a grey

2602150634_1b38428f52.jpg
6 weeks - The droopy wing stage.... grey, white, splash (and blue swedish ducks)

2860775384_5be6337a69.jpg
6 months - All grown up....splash, white, grey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom