Sebastopol question

JessieBrianne

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Does having a smooth in your flock "taint" your flock for raising just for fun? I have a local cray-cray person saying my flock is no good, just for fun. Just getting a feel for other professions, not crazy people.

Last edited:
Dont let anyone tell you what you have is no good. Its none of their business, especially if your flock is for your own enjoyment. Everyone has their own preferences and should not try to force them on others. Unless you have exhibition geese and were planning on showing the offspring i would not worry about having a smooth in the flock. Its entirely your choice and no one elses. Some of the most beautiful geese i have seen have come from geese that others might not consider a good pair to let reproduce. Raise your flock the way you want to raise them and dont pay any attention to the ones who critisize.

Not that I claim to know anything about raising sebastopols, but I do remember reading that there are a number of breeders (maybe in Europe) who tend to put smooth with curly to improve the birds...........

Thank you for your replies. And I guess I should have put that I do sell the goslings, but anyone who is interested gets told that I have a smooth one and that I'm not a professional breeder. Everyone who's purchased a gosling knows, and none of them care because they're doing it for fun; not shows, or for breeding with their own. They like the eggs and they like such a pretty boutique bird in their yard.

Thanks for the support. This woman has harassed me endlessly today. It's just terrible.

Hi Jessie I am a Sebastopol breeder and yes, we do use smooth breasted sebs with our curly's. But if you breed smooth to smooth then you get totally smooth with no curl. It is up to you on what you want to breed just remember that!!!

Back
Top Bottom