Sebastopols. A cash crop?

pips&peeps :

Quote:
I find this a rather odd statement since Dave's prices are the highest of any Sebastopol breeder that I know of,
AND he not only sell's smooth breasted colored Sebastotopols but smooth breasted whites as well!
Who has higher prices...please post a link to such websites.

I believe the majority of birds coming from Holderreads would be considered pet quality. Unless you buy an adult bird, which is going to cost around $300.00 plus shipping. I'm not knocking him or his birds, but if you were an exhibition breeder, would you sell all your exhibition potential goslings? Or, would you keep the majority of them and sell them for a higher price in the fall? This would give the breeder the chance to weed through and keep only the best......

I recommend that people read the standard on these birds. I only know of a few people that are breeding them to standard. An obvious point that I see wrong on 99% of birds being sold is they do not have a rounded forehead. I think alot of outcrossing was done and this trait has been overlooked.​

I am not one to usually want to join forums but I have watched this thread and wanted to shed a different light on this. I have been raising Sebastopols for quite along time and all of my colored stock has come from Dave and Millie. I have never purchased goslings , only adults and no I am not a exhibition breeder and priceing for the beautiful breeding stock is something that Dave has spent many years working with and I am fortunate to get to continue working with and perfecting to something I love looking at. I have always been able to discuss choices of birds he has to offer and they have always been fairly priced for the quality I recieve and well worth it. Purchasing an adult and knowing exactly what I am getting has worked for me instead of buying goslings and not knowing if they are going to turn out how I want them to. Its always a surprise with my own goslings. I raise everything that I hatch out and I do keep the very best for myself. Occationally I send some out , but I usually don't. All of the birds I cull get to go with a friend that has a very large pond and are fed and protected.
As for smooth breasted birds, I have had them from the beginning and will continue to use them. Although there is a difference in Smooth breasted and smooth birds. My smooth breasted birds have long draping feathers off their back and thighs. If they exhibit no curl and are smooth shall I say like my Americans I don't use them. As far as I know HWFF lists curly and smooth breasted birds. I have recieved both curly and smooth breasted but have never been offered a smooth bird.
If people have ordered goslings out of the Elite show lines it does not mean that they will all be show and could end up being pet quality. Some of my very best have produced some that get to go live at the big pond with Harlan. To some people it may be high to order and adult for the price of 3-4 goslings and by doing that you know ahead of time what you are getting. Feels way better to me to have a good bird worthy of breeding than to raise a few goslings and maybe get pet quality . I will be posting some pictures just for viewing, of my birds both smooth breasted and curly breasted. White and colored. I have incorporated different lines from my friend Dave Kozakiewicz which has been breeding Sebastopol geese for 38 years , from Dave a Millie Holderread and Audrey Overton Bloodlines. P.S. Pips and Peeps , I am a stickler on the large round heads.

I had a very early clutch (in december) a couple goslings hatched in spring, then my last clutch was infertile (I think due to warm weather). Strange, strange season for sure. I have a couple eggs in the incubator right now from someone else (nice looking parents) and I am hoping nothing goes awry with the rest of incubation.

By next season I want to have a redwood incubator for all waterfowl incubation.

Quote:
I believe the majority of birds coming from Holderreads would be considered pet quality. Unless you buy an adult bird, which is going to cost around $300.00 plus shipping. I'm not knocking him or his birds, but if you were an exhibition breeder, would you sell all your exhibition potential goslings? Or, would you keep the majority of them and sell them for a higher price in the fall? This would give the breeder the chance to weed through and keep only the best......

I recommend that people read the standard on these birds. I only know of a few people that are breeding them to standard. An obvious point that I see wrong on 99% of birds being sold is they do not have a rounded forehead. I think alot of outcrossing was done and this trait has been overlooked.

I am not one to usually want to join forums but I have watched this thread and wanted to shed a different light on this. I have been raising Sebastopols for quite along time and all of my colored stock has come from Dave and Millie. I have never purchased goslings , only adults and no I am not a exhibition breeder and priceing for the beautiful breeding stock is something that Dave has spent many years working with and I am fortunate to get to continue working with and perfecting to something I love looking at. I have always been able to discuss choices of birds he has to offer and they have always been fairly priced for the quality I recieve and well worth it. Purchasing an adult and knowing exactly what I am getting has worked for me instead of buying goslings and not knowing if they are going to turn out how I want them to. Its always a surprise with my own goslings. I raise everything that I hatch out and I do keep the very best for myself. Occationally I send some out , but I usually don't. All of the birds I cull get to go with a friend that has a very large pond and are fed and protected.
As for smooth breasted birds, I have had them from the beginning and will continue to use them. Although there is a difference in Smooth breasted and smooth birds. My smooth breasted birds have long draping feathers off their back and thighs. If they exhibit no curl and are smooth shall I say like my Americans I don't use them. As far as I know HWFF lists curly and smooth breasted birds. I have recieved both curly and smooth breasted but have never been offered a smooth bird.
If people have ordered goslings out of the Elite show lines it does not mean that they will all be show and could end up being pet quality. Some of my very best have produced some that get to go live at the big pond with Harlan. To some people it may be high to order and adult for the price of 3-4 goslings and by doing that you know ahead of time what you are getting. Feels way better to me to have a good bird worthy of breeding than to raise a few goslings and maybe get pet quality . I will be posting some pictures just for viewing, of my birds both smooth breasted and curly breasted. White and colored. I have incorporated different lines from my friend Dave Kozakiewicz which has been breeding Sebastopol geese for 38 years , from Dave a Millie Holderread and Audrey Overton Bloodlines. P.S. Pips and Peeps , I am a stickler on the large round heads.

thumbsup.gif
I just wanted to add that I've found it's better with ALL fowl to save up & buy an adult (exactly what you want), rather than paying for goslings or chicks that you hav to feed, water, sex and wait for them to fully feather before you even know what you've got, if you're going to keep it and how you're going to re-home it if you need to. I am speaking from my own personal experience here. I live in a pretty remote area that makes it very hard to sell any culls so I don't hatch very much unless I have a waiting list.
smile.png

My experience with adults vs day olds is probably kind of unusual. I have had some great experiences with batches of chicks sent from different breeders. In waterfowl I have only once even had the opportunity to buy day old from a breeder who had birds that I wanted. I will say that I don't order from someone just because they keep the breed I want and have birds available. I usually end up wanting a start from only one or two different people who have the sort of birds in that breed that I want to look at every day. I have always had to wait until these breeders raised their hatches to some kind of maturity, picked out what they wanted for themselves and then decided if there were birds good enough to let go of knowing that they would be starting new flocks. I've not minded because even if I have to wait for another season once I have the birds in my hands I have the birds I wanted and a very good start to a breeding program that I will have a lot of fun with.

but, if you do buy goslings or young birds, you could end up with a really nice bird that wouldn't be for sale as a adult. I don't sell SQ sebastopols.....they are few and far between.....but that is a different story on the chickens and ducks.

Back
Top Bottom