Sebestapol goose

That’s a fear scream. They make that sound when they’re in sudden distress or being attacked.
I can’t say why she’s doing this all of a sudden, something’s triggered her and she now fears you grabbing her for whatever reasons. It could have been something you did but it also could just be that she’s a very sensitive goose. Geese are very individualistic and some really don’t like contact or are very skittish. Some geese love snuggles even as adults but most don’t really like being touched or handled much or at all as adults and will only tolerate it if they’re taught to and are used to it.

You might also want to examine her to see if she’s injured, including looking into her mouth. If she’s in pain she could be associating it with you for whatever reason, or with eating.

Examining her won’t help with her fears initially and will probably freak her out pretty badly but I do strongly suggest doing so as well as training any goose, but especially skittish ones to be more comfortable with being handled as it makes it much easier for you and MUCH less stressful for them if you need to handle them in an emergency or for health reasons. It’s the difference between a bird having a meltdown in your arms and possibly injuring you or themselves versus them just sitting in your arms like 🫤

Her behavior makes it a little tricky to start as usually treats are how you lure a goose into close proximity, so I think the best way to start would just be sitting motionless in a smaller area with her and the other goose for awhile and setting treats on the ground closer and closer to you until she’ll take them from your hand or setting it on your leg or foot without her being so fearful. As she becomes comfortable with that then start initiating contact with slowly touching her foot or belly and then rewarding her with another treat. After that make a point to offer her a treat, pick her up, then offer her another treat if she’ll take it. She may not initially but she’ll gradually learn to accept being picked up if she gets a treat for it.
Trying different foods might also help, geese can take awhile to get used to new treats but some things once they try them are more favorable than others, and more irresistible.
Things that geese can eat are: APPLES, pears, plums, peaches, MELONS, ROMAINE, cabbage, broccoli, ARUGULA, strawberries, BLUEBERRIES, banana, CUCUMBER, oranges, tomatoes, spinach, blackberries, cherries, CORN, peas, DRY CAT FOOD, carrots, and BOK CHOY among others. The things in all caps are things that are generally liked by mine, though geese have different personalities and like and dislike different things.
Thank you..I know I had to chase them away from the chickens the other day but that’s nothing unusual unless she just took it personally this time.. When my hubby gets up we’ll see if we’re can get her and examine her.. she’s always been close to me and I’ve been able to pick her up in the past but she was not having it the last couple days 😭.. oh that’s great I can get that stuff at the farmers markets up the rd from me.. thank you for being so helpful.. I thought she was sick or something and I pray that she just took something personal and isn’t sick or hurt

Back
Top Bottom