sebright thread

Pics
IMO, I would euthanize those birds. If they do have Coryza or some other respiratory disease, then they will be carriers for life and could spread it to the rest of your flock. That's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. Not only that, but I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I just hope you are providing good quarantine measures.

I understand that not all of us here are trying to breed these birds. Regardless, it should be the job of any owner of any breed of poultry to improve that breed's prolificacy and health by even the smallest means, whether by culling those with inferior characteristics or simply not letting them procreate. There's nothing wrong with having birds of sentimental value, I have several myself that are hatchery birds that were my very first chickens. But there is a larger picture out there that most people don't see, and that is what we need to strive for.

IMO, I would euthanize those birds. If they do have Coryza or some other respiratory disease, then they will be carriers for life and could spread it to the rest of your flock. That's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. Not only that, but I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I just hope you are providing good quarantine measures.

I understand that not all of us here are trying to breed these birds. Regardless, it should be the job of any owner of any breed of poultry to improve that breed's prolificacy and health by even the smallest means, whether by culling those with inferior characteristics or simply not letting them procreate. There's nothing wrong with having birds of sentimental value, I have several myself that are hatchery birds that were my very first chickens. But there is a larger picture out there that most people don't see, and that is what we need to strive for.
tottally agree with you so true all my birds are hatchery birds my sebrigths i dont know were they came originally cause i bougth them from someone else who could not keep them and i fell in love from the first time i saw them and i would love to get some babies out of them.

I believe these threads to be for the purpose of education. If I post a pic i expect that I will get constructive feedback on the conformation/colour/health etc of the birds posted. If no one speaks up then the rest of us don't learn. As long as all feedback is polite and "IMO" then I, personally, am not offended.

Their biggest fault would be their body type. Their backs need to be a lot shorter, but that's about all I can say from a picture. Also, although it's hard to tell, they seem to be pretty big for Sebrights.

Their biggest fault would be their body type. Their backs need to be a lot shorter, but that's about all I can say from a picture. Also, although it's hard to tell, they seem to be pretty big for Sebrights.
They are alot bigger than I expected, and the one male mussed up his tail in transport because the cage was a little to short for him. I don't know anything about them as they came to me "second" hand from someone who bought them two weeks ago and then couldn't keep them due to the crowing. I figured the tails were light on the lacing but not bad overall birds for unknown origin.

My friend is taking a trio to cross to her polish and work on bringing good lacing back into that breed since it stinks right now, and them being bigger is a plus for her. I was going to cross to my D'Uccles to work on getting some sort of tolbunt going so their being big is not so good for me. How big should they be compaired to D'Uccles? Maybe someone could post a pic of one next to thier hand so I could get an idea?

We were going to keep the sebright line also, if they are good enough, and maybe show. If they have too many faults though, we will just use them for our projects and not breed more faulty birds. The nice thing is they are exceptionaly healthy
ya.gif

My first Seabrights! They came from a 400 bird chicken farm, and haven't had any attention. They are WILD, WILD, WILD 7 months old. The cockerels get along right now, they were raised together. I'm planning on showing in my first show in November. Sure hope I can tame them by then! Finally got them in a good pose, and then a ghost put his private part in there. Sorry
ep.gif
-Pam Pittman I hope that's not offensive- but I had to say that it's not what it looks like! Just a glitch.

Back
Top Bottom