sebright thread

Pics
I shall now rest easy. And I don't know if luck covers what happened to me: out of five surviving chicks from Tractor Supply which we all assumed to be male, precisely one is a cockerel. I think the universe is trying to fix the time I got about 20 roosters out of 25 chicks...

Thank you so much, everyone. :D (And sorry for spamming the thread with a what-gender-is-this discussion...)

I have a question about one of my sebrights. I had a golden Sebright hen, but I could tell she was a cross right away because she had a single comb. She laid these really pretty pink eggs. I was wondering out of curiosity, what could've she been mixed with or what bantam breeds lay pink eggs? I ended up selling her and my Sebright rooster, who had a rose comb. The person that bought them wanted to breed them, not for show but just for fun.

Could someone please tell what are the Standards of Perfection for SL Sebrights? I just want to see how close my SLs are to being show quality. Thank you.

I am unaware of the complete American Standard being available anywhere on the internet. Most likely because it is quite lengthy and detailed. Which is to be expected of the first breed of chicken bred exclusively for showing purposes.
So i would recommend purchasing one from the ABA www.bantamclub.com or the APA www.amerpoultryassn.com

The Austrailian Standard and the British Standard can all be found in whole or in part, but they are different than the USA Standard - which is why the birds look slightly different.

If you intend to do any showing, then you need to get one anyways.

Do not intend to show. I bought the flock with intent of selling hatching eggs from them. The man I bought them from said they were show quality but I would like to check this for myself before I sale them as show quality. I kown I nees to buy the APA SoP book, but I have way too many expenses this year to be able to afford one.

I have a question about one of my sebrights. I had a golden Sebright hen, but I could tell she was a cross right away because she had a single comb. She laid these really pretty pink eggs. I was wondering out of curiosity, what could've she been mixed with or what bantam breeds lay pink eggs? I ended up selling her and my Sebright rooster, who had a rose comb. The person that bought them wanted to breed them, not for show but just for fun.
Just because she had a single comb does not necessarily mean she was a mix breed. It's not uncommon for Sebrights, especially those from hatcheries, to have single combs. Sebrights that are homozygous rose comb have decreased fertility than heterozygous rose comb and single comb birds. So the hatcheries use these birds to increase the fertility in order to produce more chicks. Subsequently the customer can often get single combed birds that are suppose to be rose combed.

Exactly what year of the Rooster said. I have quite a few purebred Ameracaunas, but they will still hatch a chick with a single comb, or no beard, quite a bit of the time. Even taking a pair that meets SoP perfectly, still gives off-traited birds. Remember that all of the chickens in the World are a mixture of other breeds, even our loved 'Brights. They all originated from the Red Jungle Fowl, which is pretty much accepted as the original chicken. That bird is a long way from a 'Bright. It's like getting a red-headed son from 2 black-headed parents. Doesn't mean anyone was "up to somethin'" hehe Hidden genes (since we can't "see 'em") can always pop-up and give you something interesting.

As a point, I currently have a 3 weeks old Bantam born in a clutch from my Barred Game hen. It's a blonde/buff and white little thing, cute as can be...BUT, there is not a buff chicken on the place except for an Orpington, that is huge compared to this lil Banty. My lightest colored Bantam is LG, a Lemon Blue Roo that is currently living with 2 blue-laced hens...go figure...the rest of my breeding-aged Bantams are SDW's, 'Brights, Blacks, and BBReds. Where did this coloring come from? The egg was left in the nest by a roving Banty hen after I let them all out for an afternoon of poops and giggles with the big gang. Everyone had fun, but what gives with this little chick? I can't wait to see what it actually feathers out as...but I've never had a chick with this coloring, so we're allw atching it closely. That is the fun of cross-breeding, to me. Ya never know what pretty bird you'll come out with.

Just heard one of my hens crow today. She kept cackling looking for another one of her girlfriends and all of a sudden a CAWWK-AAAWWKK-AAAWW. Funniest thing I've heard
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom