sebright thread

Pics
Quote:
Okay! If you look up how to "tame" a roo, that should help. I heard my first attempt at a crow today!!!
barnie.gif
My two little meepers got separated today, and the more mature of the two was peeping and peeping at the top of his lungs. Then he made that crazy noise they make when they are starting to crow. He only did it once, thank goodness.

I just got the first egg from my 5-month old Sebrights! Life is so exciting! I have 3 hens (2 Silver & 1 Golden) and the most food-motivated Silver Sebright, Ashe, disappeared into the nest-box in the middle of the day. A bit later I went out to find her dust-bathing in my flower garden, and an adorable egg in the nest box! I'm so proud of her! To illustrate, my new Sebright egg next to an egg I bought at the grocery store this morning!

I just got the first egg from my 5-month old Sebrights! Life is so exciting! I have 3 hens (2 Silver & 1 Golden) and the most food-motivated Silver Sebright, Ashe, disappeared into the nest-box in the middle of the day. A bit later I went out to find her dust-bathing in my flower garden, and an adorable egg in the nest box! I'm so proud of her! To illustrate, my new Sebright egg next to an egg I bought at the grocery store this morning!

Oh my gosh! How cute!!! Congrats!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Okay! If you look up how to "tame" a roo, that should help. I heard my first attempt at a crow today!!! :barnie My two little meepers got separated today, and the more mature of the two was peeping and peeping at the top of his lungs. Then he made that crazy noise they make when they are starting to crow. He only did it once, thank goodness.

And it starts! Now you get to hear a few weeks of choking. It is sooo cute though. I will keep reading about taming a Roo. I have read some stuff. He does well most of the time. I have to really watch him when I am around the coop. I don't turn my back on him anymore. When they are in the rest of the yard or on one of the pour he's he is fine. I really want him to be a good rooster. He is so beautiful. Here is another picture of him.

And it starts! Now you get to hear a few weeks of choking. It is sooo cute though. I will keep reading about taming a Roo. I have read some stuff. He does well most of the time. I have to really watch him when I am around the coop. I don't turn my back on him anymore. When they are in the rest of the yard or on one of the pour he's he is fine. I really want him to be a good rooster. He is so beautiful. Here is another picture of him. .
Oh geez...! I hope mine isn't aggressive at all! I want him to be good too!

Crowcreek, in my experience, (I have 5 Roos and 6 hens/pullets in the 'brights) the lil Roos are most aggressive when their ladies are around. My old Roo is a golden, and he lights me up every time that I feed and water them in their tractor. If I take him to where he can't see the hens, he calms down and lets me pet him. Remember that Darwin's theory of Natural Selection was actually started by Lord Sebright. Sebright used the development of the Sebright chicken to prove his theory, I have read. They are very aggressive/protective, and will not let you forget it. Mine aren't mean, they just don't tolerate Anyone messing with their Ladies.

I love the pic with them walking down the stairs in a row. You couldn't get a better pic with human actors. That is priceless. It'd be my avatar pic, if any of mine did that! haha

I have a 2 month-old Cockerel that was hatched in a Barred Game/Amie/OE combo clutch. I put 3 Bantam eggs under my game broody hen, last time she went broody. I just let them run with the rest of my Standard egger flock. The 'Bright, ALWAYS has a high perch, and will get in the face of roos that are 50 times his size. The big guys usually look at him funny, and walk away. I watch them a bit closely, tho. Once , my Avatar roo ruffled his neck at him, the lil guy ruffled back, then flew up on top of one of the broody pens and crowed his little heart out. Discretion being the better part of valor, I assume...

tw1kell, thank you so much for the post. I knew that Lord Sebright developed the birds but I did not know about his theories that inspired Darwin! Really interesting!!! My little guy is certainly a character. I have a feeling I will never completely tame him. So far he is the worst when they are all outside the tractor but near it. I am not sure how to separate him. I can't even catch him. He shows some caution with me but still tries to walk up to me for a dance. I don't even let him get started before I walk at him forcing him back. My hens want to be around me and I can tell he doesn't like that. I don't think he is mean ether, just already super protective. I miss last week when I still felt comfortable around him.

Do Sebright Roos develop faster than other breeds. He is not yet 13 weeks and looks and acts all roo! Some people on here with other breeds are still trying to figure out if theirs is a roo. I really want to keep him so I guess I will just have to be as persistent as he is.

Oh, and thanks, about the picture! I have tried to change my avatar to that one and it is not letting me right now. I will try later. I posted that picture to my Face book page and got a huge amount of comments. They were pecking at the front door so I went out the back with the camera and when they saw me coming around to the bottom of the stairs they all came running down to me. My husband said they looked like good little school children! I like how Bob's red comb reflects back to the red door (that was a week ago when he still liked me). Pippin as usual was behind a bit, still way up at the top. She is always last :)

Back
Top Bottom