sebright thread

I must have gotten very lucky...I bought 9 sebrights from TS and got 2 males and the rest females. At least its looking that way right now. I did get a bantom wyandotte that is deffinately male and 2 OEGB that are one of each.
big_smile.png

I must have gotten very lucky...I bought 9 sebrights from TS and got 2 males and the rest females. At least its looking that way right now. I did get a bantom wyandotte that is deffinately male and 2 OEGB that are one of each.
big_smile.png
last year at TS i bought three Cornish rocks, all roosters and three RIRs two roosters, one hen.

This is my baby- girl hopefully- it will fly out of my hands in a second if I let it and it can fly about 5 feet!! Anyway, it was singing----not the normal peeping it and the others do. It sounded like a song bird was in the brooder. I love it, Is that normal?

This is my baby- girl hopefully- it will fly out of my hands in a second if I let it and it can fly about 5 feet!! Anyway, it was singing----not the normal peeping it and the others do. It sounded like a song bird was in the brooder. I love it, Is that normal?
She sounds like a cutie.

Sebrights are full of surprises, so although mine does not "sing" it wouldn't be shocking to hear of one that one does. I've heard of female Sebrights crowing. I even know of one that let out a couple tiny crows after laying an egg - instead of an egg song. (It sounded like a hic-up.)

Mine is very vocal & has an entire vocabulary of little squeeks & squawks depending on the situation. She makes the cutest little chittering when she's angry with another hen or upset that I gave a treat to another while she has none. LOL She also makes a sweet chatter while following me around. It sounds like she's telling me all about her day. Then there's always the long clucking when she's begging for something and a happy trill when she gets it. Her egg song is of course the highest pitched, so I can always tell when Trouble lays an egg. Like I said, she has quite a repertoire of sounds.

She sounds like a cutie.

Sebrights are full of surprises, so although mine does not "sing" it wouldn't be shocking to hear of one that one does. I've heard of female Sebrights crowing. I even know of one that let out a couple tiny crows after laying an egg - instead of an egg song. (It sounded like a hic-up.)

Mine is very vocal & has an entire vocabulary of little squeeks & squawks depending on the situation. She makes the cutest little chittering when she's angry with another hen or upset that I gave a treat to another while she has none. LOL She also makes a sweet chatter while following me around. It sounds like she's telling me all about her day. Then there's always the long clucking when she's begging for something and a happy trill when she gets it. Her egg song is of course the highest pitched, so I can always tell when Trouble lays an egg. Like I said, she has quite a repertoire of sounds.
yeah sometimes my little Ivy gets worked over something and just won't stop telling me all about it!

My daughter is showing sebrights for 4h this year. We got 6 day old chicks but only 5 ended up being sebrights. We need at least 2 hens. They are now 2.5 weeks old. Can someone please help me determine what they are so I know if I need to find more?? I can take pictures tommorow. Thanks in advance

My daughter is showing sebrights for 4h this year. We got 6 day old chicks but only 5 ended up being sebrights. We need at least 2 hens. They are now 2.5 weeks old. Can someone please help me determine what they are so I know if I need to find more?? I can take pictures tommorow. Thanks in advance

Hi Danielle, Welcome to BYC! 2.5 weeks may be too young to tell...I have my first Sebright, my only one, (so far) and it's 3 weeks old tomorrow and has zero comb. Do yours have any combs visible? I'll be interested to see your pics...hopefully you should get at least 2 pullets out of the five.
Good luck with the 4H show.....
Sue

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom