sebright thread

Ok thank you. That is a lot of help. And we have a bunch of other hens. Not Sebrights. He is the only roo(if it isn't a she). But let's hope. Would there be any problems with the Sebright breeding with the isa/red sex link?
there wouldn't be a problem per say but it would be hard for a sebright to climb up that high lol

Ok thank you. That is a lot of help. And we have a bunch of other hens. Not Sebrights. He is the only roo(if it isn't a she). But let's hope. Would there be any problems with the Sebright breeding with the isa/red sex link?

there wouldn't be a problem per say but it would be hard for a sebright to climb up that high lol

x2! And he (if its a he) will most definitely try!
big_smile.png

You have a few options, and a little time to find a solution.

Is this your only chick? And do you plan to get more?

-- Look into crow collars. There are also some homemade things that folks have found to help reduce crowing, as simple as slipping a cut-off baby sock around the roosters neck. It doesn't hurt him, and keeps the crow less noisy.

-- Also, I think one singe rooster will crow less than if you had several.

-- Could you keep it indoors? Inside in a cage, or in a garage? Dusk and dawn are when they crow the most, but mine crowed off and on all day long.

-- Risk it until you are reported and forced to get rid of him.
Some good ideas.

We made crow collars for our boys & bring them in the garage after dark. They can crow all they want b/c no one can hear them until I let them out after 8am. At that time they crow a bit but not for more than 5-10 min. If I hear crowing at other times, there's a reason (usually something they believe to be a danger) so I know to check it out. We once had a roo that crowed all day & we rehomed him. As wonderful as that boy was, he just wasn't a good fit. All the crow collar attempts made him higher pitched & more annoying or were too great of a risk for strangulation. They don't work on all types.

For us, we wanted the roos for hen safety & our daughter's 4H projects. We're in a legally gray area. (Roos are illegal as of 2 years ago, but there's 4-H has a loophole in our county. We also owned them for a few years before the new ordinances were passed.) Thankfully all our neighbors got on board. If we only wanted a few hens for backyard eggs or one of our neighbors had an objection, we wouldn't have a roo.

Thanks I have one girl I think then and 3 boys. So far out of 15 chicks from Tractor supply I have 12 males, 2 females and and one im not sure about... ugh. Plus 9 silkies that I have no idea about. So much for selling the extra pullets.

Back
Top Bottom