sebright thread

Sebrights no eggs yet, 6 of my 20 hens started laying, the sebrights nothing yet. Not sure on their exact age but when i bought them the breeder said "should see eggs in a few weeks". The rooster is doing his job but not seeing any eggs. Also their combs dont appear to be full yet. Im thinking bc its winter? Even though im in the south & winters is 50 degrees average.

It's probably the shorter days. (Less hours of sunlight per day in the winter.) Temps don't seem to affect them as much as the light. If you want to trick them, you can gradually add artificial light with a timer to lengthen their days. If you're not in a rush, they'll probably start laying end of Feb or beginning March.

Depending on the season when they reach maturity, pullets can take 4-5 months up to 9 months to lay their 1st egg. The good news is that your pullets will have a strong start and long laying period in 2020.

Now 8 hens laying as I just carried in 8 eggs. No sebright eggs lol

Also have 2 buff polish & no eggs from them either

20191215_104158.jpg

Now 8 hens laying as I just carried in 8 eggs. No sebright eggs lol

Also have 2 buff polish & no eggs from them either

View attachment 1983779
Pretty eggs. (but you're right, no sebright eggs)
My colored egg layers tend to be seasonal and simply stop for the winter. I only have 1 EE left & she's 7 yrs old, so not many blue eggs for me. (I had a CCL growing up this summer & just before she started laying a hawk got her. :hit

I have:
2 whiting true blue
2 whiting true green
8 buff orphingtons 3 of which are laying & 5 more just about ready. We are up to 8 eggs per day.

Keep in mind im in south tennessee & winter is generally sunny & 50ish at worst. Do have some cooler nights sporadically. But mild to say the least.

My only birds that are not showing signs of laying are
2 buff polish
1 sicilian buttercup
2 Sebrights.

I was just reading about my guineas and I read they will NOT lay eggs until spring. Is it possible the sebrights wont lay until spring either?

Also my sebrights appear to have no combs is this a sign? I will take a photo when i go out

IMG_20191230_125340_054.jpg

I have:
2 whiting true blue
2 whiting true green
8 buff orphingtons 3 of which are laying & 5 more just about ready. We are up to 8 eggs per day.

Keep in mind im in south tennessee & winter is generally sunny & 50ish at worst. Do have some cooler nights sporadically. But mild to say the least.

My only birds that are not showing signs of laying are
2 buff polish
1 sicilian buttercup
2 Sebrights.

I was just reading about my guineas and I read they will NOT lay eggs until spring. Is it possible the sebrights wont lay until spring either?

Also my sebrights appear to have no combs is this a sign? I will take a photo when i go out

View attachment 1991762
Wow, so many eggs! Are all these birds pullets? Pullets often lay thru their first winter, but not always. What age(s) are yours? And the experts say it's the length of day rather than how cold/warm. Sebright girls have very small compact combs. My Sebright laid and hatched eggs this summer and you could barely see her comb which has stayed dark colored for the past year or more.
comb.jpg
Our latitude here in SO MO is 37ºN, and none of our hens are laying even with the mild temps we have had. Not even our 1 pullet has started yet. I don't think we are much further north than TN. But whatever the case, I think by next month, with the longer days laying chances will greatly improve....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, happy 2020 everyone!

6LZ42SzMkzsiX7bs_tgY5fbGkj_cJNxVihgU_oWNus-IOKirAAQGQ0bAUL30VLmc1OONwWGF4xEoOZFPlyv_ctJRk7nXL9-Jg_JyQCDZco3xHEUm91DLIHYD2Vxh_br9wg=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
18 hens 4 roosters

2 sebright hens
1 Sebrights roo

Once i start finding little sebright eggs im going to put them in their own pen with the roo & let them do their thing

I bought the sebrights seperate from my flock of peeps. I got them july-ish from a private seller who said "they should be laying in a month or so"

The young rooster was crowing already yet no eggs from the girls.

18 hens 4 roosters

2 sebright hens
1 Sebrights roo

Once i start finding little sebright eggs im going to put them in their own pen with the roo & let them do their thing

I bought the sebrights seperate from my flock of peeps. I got them july-ish from a private seller who said "they should be laying in a month or so"

The young rooster was crowing already yet no eggs from the girls.
Well, I don't know what to say then. If they aren't hiding nests, you should have found eggs.
Keep us updated.....

Also my sebrights appear to have no combs is this a sign? I will take a photo when i go out]

My female sebright had no real comb for several months. (Just a flat colorless area where a comb would be.) Eventually the area turned pink but it wasn't until the comb popped up & wattles dropped that she began to lay. Like you, mine reached 5 months in late fall, so no eggs from her until late February.

This year I decided to hang some Christmas lights & a timer inside the coop. It gives the birds a few extra hours of light in the morning. I report that it does work and I'm getting a decent amount of eggs. My Sebright was one of the 1st to molt in September and she's laying a lot right now because of the lights. There's some debate about the artificial light and tricking the hens, but DH told me he didn't want to buy eggs this winter.

If you really need your sebrights to lay sooner than later, then gradually adding light would probably do the trick. Otherwise, I can't see why yours wouldn't start laying in about 6-10 more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom