1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebrights....Who else has these Little Boogers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Jan 29, 2007.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    My little Lacy weighs less than a pound, but has attitude equal to a Jersey Giant. Is the breed in general this spunky? I'm seriously considering breeding these miniature chooks, but I've heard from the pros that both egg laying & fertility can be be a problem. Anyone raise them as ShowBirds? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    WOW! She is beautiful!!

3. AZChick

AZChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2007
    Arizona
    I really don't know anything about them now, BUT Sebright nationals is two hours from my house this year. I am trying to line some up to buy. I have long admired yours, even before she was yours.
    Amy

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    My aunt raises Silver Sebrights and I hatch the eggs for her. I've only had *one* hatch out so far. They are fragile and I'm not sure she'll ever sell the eggs (shipped, anyway) because the hatchability is so effected at all.

I've got one tiny little baby in the brooder right now waiting to go to her home (it needs to get quite a bit bigger first) and three eggs getting ready to go in the incubator.

Oh, forget to say YES, her roo especially is VERY cocky (no pun intended) and seems to think he's ten feet tall! LOL

5. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    I know next to nothing about Sebrights. But I loooooove the pic! Looks like she's saying, "Who wants a piece of me?"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Great photo of a beautiful bird! All attitude! [​IMG]
    (Sorry can't offer any answers to your questions:/)

7. Ricochet Ranch

Ricochet Ranch Rest in Peace 1957-2007

Jan 11, 2007
    I have 6 Sebright hens, 3 Silvers, 2 Gold and 1 Buff. They were all bought as day old chicks from Ideal last March. I just LOVE 'EM!!! They are very curious birds and basically not afraid of anything. Full of spunk and man can they fly, too!!

Hatchery birds will generally not give you show quality birds. But I still wanted to get to know the breed and I'm glad I did order them! Show quality Sebrights are not easy to find. I joined the national Sebright Club to get to know more about the breed. Breeders hold onto their SQ birds pretty tight but are a good group of people. Show birds take time to train to improve for their show profile. The Buffs are not accepted bt ABA/APA for standard. You get a Buff by crossing a Silver with a Golden. You don't want black feathers in the Buff colors either. You might to read up on Marek's disease as they can be prone to this. If you vaccinate for Marek's it must be done when they are a day old. You have to request and pay for this if you order from hatcheries.

Like Amy- AZChick said, we are jazzed to have the Sebright National in AZ this fall 07. Now that is backyard shopping at its best, huh?!![​IMG]
    Peace, Penny

8. Ricochet Ranch

Ricochet Ranch Rest in Peace 1957-2007

Jan 11, 2007
    Hey Asher, I meant to tell ya Good Luck on your hatching and your little baby!!

LCRT, thanks for posting the pic of Lacy, always a treat to see another Sebright, she is pretty!1

Peace, Penny

9. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I loved mine - "tude" of a Pitbull and the smaller the nastier Good Luck

One of those breeds ya love or hate-- not good with small children Advisory

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Mine and Wes' experience with the Sebrights roosters are that they are mean little things. I got rid of the roo and kept the hens. They are very sweet... Never tried to hatch any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by