**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

My certification card arrived today! I'm officially NPIP certified!
wee.gif
It's well worth the month wait.
Congratulations!

The BCM/Silkie/Something chicks hatched by my (unrelated) House Silkie have vulture hocks but I don't care. I don't plan to show any of my birds anyway.

The egg-mothers are BCM roo over White Silkie, all black but fairly small and with topknots; I suspect my sorta-partridge Silkie roo is the daddy of the eggs. I just grabbed some flock eggs when my House Silkie went broody. There are three roosters in my flock: Carl the EE and dominant roo, Max the Silkie and Domino, who is a LF Brahma/possible Cuckoo Marans mix. I've only seen Max cover the "Milkie" girls, which are the BCM/Silkie mixes.

I love my very mixed flock.

Quote:
i keep my geese with my muscovy too
big_smile.png

I'm drawing the line at Muscovies!!!! Love looking at geese, love eating them . . . . . 6 ducks is more than enough to share the kiddie pool, lol, might fit 1 goose in it, all to himself.
lau.gif

My certification card arrived today! I'm officially NPIP certified!
wee.gif
It's well worth the month wait.
celebrate.gif
Hoooorrrraaaaay !!!!!

can you get to Kentucky? I will give you some.  Mixed breed heritage, but bartorers can't be choosers :)

Would you ship if I cover shipping cost and throw in some extra? ;) I jus want some poults. :p the feed store here has some but is $7 worth one? I maybe tempted to get some poults and hatch some. I like handling my birds from birth. All my game chicks know me as momma no matter how old they get. Tehe.

Durr whether $7 per poult is too much you have to consider a few things. I have thought of buying poults at the feed store when they have them but the biggest thing that has stopped me is the breeds they carry. The feed stores around here usually only carry broad breasted white or bronze poults. I like the heritage breeds so I am not really tempted by their poults. How long do you want to wait for your poults? If you want to get them to eating size by Thanksgiving, in heritage breeds you are starting to run out of time already. There are a lot of different things you have to think about. BTW $7 a poult is not a bad price.

My MW Tom Sarge covered Melissa the MW hen today! "Covered" is a stupid word, given that turkey sex is simply gross. He stood on her back, stomping for a while, drooling and looking like a pervert before he finally got his tail feathers out of the way. After he got off, she got up and ran away. I imagined she wanted to go take a shower. Ick.

Chicken sex isn't pretty either, but it doesn't last ten minutes.

Last edited:
Quote:
Durr whether $7 per poult is too much you have to consider a few things. I have thought of buying poults at the feed store when they have them but the biggest thing that has stopped me is the breeds they carry. The feed stores around here usually only carry broad breasted white or bronze poults. I like the heritage breeds so I am not really tempted by their poults. How long do you want to wait for your poults? If you want to get them to eating size by Thanksgiving, in heritage breeds you are starting to run out of time already. There are a lot of different things you have to think about. BTW $7 a poult is not a bad price.
x2

I have raised both the BBW and heritage turkeys. THey are different to raise, and to eat. Both yummy and both delightful.

THe going rate for heritage poutls is 12-15$ around here--raising good quality parent stock costs. My 7 month old toms ( Auburn and BR) are huge and offer plenty for a small crowd. THe meat has more texture than a 5 month old BBW that sits around for the last month. THe BBW is heavy on the white meat, juicy and soft textured. I love them both-- it's like eating two different meals.

Back
Top Bottom