**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

I lost my bcm hen last night. She had rattles when breathing, but no runny nose like the others have had in the past. I quarantined her because she just didn't look right to me. She would sit kinda hunch backed & spent most of the time in the house or other nesting area. She has been in qt for 3 weeks. I bought her as an adult in Feb & I truly believe that they must have been sick. My friend & I bought a total of 7 birds there & at least 5 have shown signs of illness after we brought them home. Not to mention they were infested with lice (which we have under control now).
My bird is in the refrigerator until Mon when I can ship her to UC Davis. My printer doesn't work so I'll hafta go to Office Depot or somewhere to print the submission form. Do I need to call them first to let them know I'm sending a bird?
No, just include the form inside the box. Put a small icepack (the frozen gel lunchbox type) in the box if you can to preserve the specimen as much as possible. I took the box into FedEx with the UCD account information. They knew exactly what they were doing and said they sent the boxes through often.

I know VERY little about chicken genetics, but have been thinking about it alot and have been paying attention to the discussions on BYC, lately. I have also done a bit of research elsewhere on the net. That is to say, I know just enough to be dangerous! Any conclusions I have made are based on that limited knowledge and my limited experience with my own flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/575250/barred-chicken-breeds/10 especially post #13.

So here is my situation, I have a barred hen, and a barred cockeral. These are the only two barred birds in my flock. I hatched them both, but I am not sure which eggs they came from. I often throw a handful of mixed flock eggs in to fill spots in the bator. I was confused when the hen showed up until Ronott1 reminded me how the BSLs came to be and what the results of their breeding is( https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693812/the-old-folks-home/2880 post #2886 ) Now, I have to assume that the barred cockeral that is in the growout pen has to be from one of her eggs produced when she was covered by the BCM roo.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, or that you are right or wrong, or even that I am right or wrong, just trying to figure it all out.
hu.gif

I am in the same boat as you! Just trying to figure it out myself. I got most of the information from here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

From reading about the genetics of Barring in chickens I'll try to explain what "I think" is happening with black sex links and why I don't think any Black Sex Link hens have the barring gene.

BSL's are the result of crossing a Barred Hen to a non-barred Rooster. For our purposes the barring gene will be represented by ZB, non barring gene will be Zb-.

Rooster Zb-Zb- (No barring on either allele) Hen ZB W (sex chromosome W, and single barred gene)

ZB W

Zb- Zb- ZB Zb- W

Zb- Zb- ZB Zb- W
(Barred Roo) (Non-barred Hen BSL)

Zb-ZB will be a Barred Rooster getting the single barring gene from the hen. Zb-W will be a non-barred hen, recieving the W chromosome from the hen (sex determining gene) and the Zb- non-barred from the Rooster. This results in a non-barred sex link hen.

Last edited:
An even easier way to test out what I just tried to explain is to use the chicken genetics calculator here: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Using a RIR x Barred rock hen, the typical BSL crossing create one cross resulting in the barred Roosters and unicolor black hens. Using the resulting hens back to the same rooster and none of the resulting offspring have Barring present. Barring is also dominant, if present in Black Sex link hens it would be expressed.

Sorry Thai !! What antibiotics did you try? ( SOrry can't remember all the posts about her) Ihave dfound that most sinus infections are very treatable; not all mind you, but of the few I have had, the turkeys recovered with Rx. Sorry you lost the marans.
hugs.gif
I started out using liquamycin (oxytetracycline) but then gave her Tylan. I quarantined 6 chooks at first & then put tetracycline in the water for the remainder of the flock as a precaution. 3 of the qt birds responded quickly to meds & they went back after 2 weeks, but the marans, the oe, & the faverolles still needed to stay in qt. Now the oe looks better, but don't want to move her back cuz the faverolles is still a baby & I don't want to leave her alone in qt.

Last edited:
If these are mine she is welcome to get hers 1st if she wants. I have 3 bators double stacked at the moment & an entire bator & a half will be clearing out by next weekend. I need to candle to see if I can make any room....AND I need another bator!!!!
barnie.gif

They were, yes. Just PM me when you want me to send them - I can put them on "hold" for now. It's not a big deal, unless I have another week like this one and they get delayed again. Sounds like that was for the better, though.

Hello my turkeys are doing great. I also had a great weekend at the swap. I pretty much sold everything i brought even 10 roosters, the only thing iwent home with was my day old d'Uccle's and 2 turkeys. Yay for me.

Quote: Looks like you did rather well to pull so many thru!!! Some need longer treatment than others; in turkeys I"ve had good luck injecting into the sinuses. I actually found a gov website with that info. I have yet to inject the sinuses on chickens. I"m chicken as they are so much smaller.

Hello my turkeys are doing great. I also had a great weekend at the swap. I pretty much sold everything i brought even 10 roosters, the only thing iwent home with was my day old d'Uccle's and 2 turkeys. Yay for me.

More turkeys??? You are bitten by the turkey bug. What breed were the 2 or were they pretty mixes?

Back
Top Bottom